USB Keyboard Note Input

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
Virtuostic

Post by Virtuostic » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:25 pm

Please help.

I'm trying to input notation using my keyboard connected to my computer via USB cable. There is no problem for Sibelius to pick up on the input itself but when I play, it notates with ties and rests in the oddest places. When I do playback it sounds fine.

Anyone know of settings that I may have to change?

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:51 am

Virtuostic wrote: . . . it notates with ties and rests in the oddest places . . .
There are a few things you can do to make this less of a problem but it won't go away entirely.

1. Make sure you are using a low-latency device for playback. If the 'click' is slightly late, you will play slightly late, and Sibelius will notate slightly late.

2. It's probably better to use unFlexitime: set Notes > Flexitime Options > Plexibility of Tempo to 'None'

3. Set the Minimum Duration in Notes > Flexitime Options > Notation to something sensible.

4. Before recording, set the tempo slower than the final tempo you want. It will help with accuracy and eliminate some of the minor notational quirks.

5. There are some plug-ins which might help a bit when sorting out the notation afterwards. In Sibelius 5 they are under Plug-ins > Simplify Notation; for earlier versions: Plug-ins > Notes and Rests.

6. It might help if the USB is connected directly to the computer, not to a hub. It might be better still if you can connect your keyboard directly to your sound card (but these days that's no longer easy to do).

Virtuostic

Post by Virtuostic » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:47 pm

thanks Sebasian!!!