Sibelius + GPO, percussion problems...

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
capt_hook

Post by capt_hook » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:40 pm

Hello all!

I use the most recent version of Sibelius 4 and GPO. I have percussion parts in my scores, like cymbals, tamborines, castanets, etc., and I label them, but they do not sound correctly. How can I fix this problem. I have the channels set to "orchestral perc."

Thank you

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:32 pm

capt_hook wrote:cymbals, tamborines, castanets, etc., and I label them, but they do not sound correctly.
Note that in GPO there are a number of different Percussion 'instruments' you can set in the mixer. There is 'Basic Orchestral Percussion' and 'Percussion Toys' (silly name). If you want tamborine and cymbal at the same time, you're actually asking for more than one GPO 'instrument'.

There are separate 'instruments' for fancy cymbals and gongs, another for Bass Drum, another for 'Snares', so it's all a bit more complicated.

Some sound sets also have 'Drums and Percussion' which is more like GM, if that's what you're used to.

You can specifiy different instruments in a number of ways. If you name the instrument in text above the stave, make sure the text you use is the text recognised by Sibelius. For some instruments you might need to add your own Playback Dictionary entries.

If absolutely desperate, read the booklet which came with GPO. It isn't 100% accurate but it's a start.