Sibelius crashes when I 'save'

Use this forum for all hardware and technical related issues (i.e. sound cards, etc.).
olivermccallion

Post by olivermccallion » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:28 am

Hey all :)
I've got a huge problem and I can't seem to fix it at all...
I'm running Sibelius 5 on Windows Vista Home Premium but whenever I try to save the score I've done sibelius just dissappears (as if i've ended the process tree from task manager)... It does this however I try... using the Hotkey, going File>Save, File>Save as, or when it prompts me.. no matter what I do it always crashes.
I've doublechecked its registered and it says that it has
I've tried re-installing it to no-avail.... I've rolled back my computer.... I've uninstalled any programs that could remotley have an effect... I've made sure its just sibelius thats running.... and it always crashes
Has anyone ever heard of this problem before? Because I'm really screwed if I can't fix it... I need Sibelius 5!!!
Thanks for any help!!!
Oliver :)

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:44 pm

olivermccallion wrote:I'm running Sibelius 5 on Windows Vista Home Premium but whenever I try to save the score I've done sibelius just dissappears
I think this is a known problem. I have seen it discussed on the Sibelius Tech Chat Page (http://www.sibelius.com/helpcenter). It's worth searching the Chat Page, and there may be an Article ('Search Articles').

CSpencer

Post by CSpencer » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:15 am

Is your copy of Sibelius up to date (5.2)? If not, updating may solve your problem.

olivermccallion

Post by olivermccallion » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:36 pm

I'd had a look on there before and couldn't find anything... what were you typing in? I searched, 'crashed' 'crashed on save' 'save errors' and quite a few more :S

I updated from 5.0 to 5.2 today..... And now the thing doesn't even open!
On the splash screen it always freezes on 'creating toolbar'
I've ran it as a normal user, administrator and super user and it still freezes right there. Do we have any ideas how to get past this? Google is offering no help either.

Considering that generally musical people aren't computer geniuses there's very little in the way of resources out there... I can find this forum and the sibelius chat room... nothing else.

Thankyou for any help :)
Oliver

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:44 am

olivermccallion wrote:what were you typing in?
I haven't searched for it on the Sibelius site myself; I'd suggest 'Vista' as a search term for searching Articles and 'Vista' + 'load' to search Chat.

mandyh7866

Post by mandyh7866 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:18 am

i have the exactly the same problem....i tried EVERYTHING they suggested on the help page on sibelius.com....i cant open a file on sibelius as well! ...the problem is sometimes it works but most of the times it doesnt...

my sibelius 5 is an update so i suggest if yours an update as well just install your earlier version of sibelius and dont install the update....cos my sibelius 4 still works fine(it just wont shut down properly, but thats hardly a problem)...it lets me save and everything...

or...you could install an Windows XP on your computer as well as Vista...cos windows XP doesnt take up a large amount of space....

dont know if this helps...i have emailed the technical team again and if their suggestion works, i will come and tell you!!~~ :D

Mandy

olivermccallion

Post by olivermccallion » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:20 pm

Mandy! I've managed to fix it!!! Hope this works for you aswell!
There's actually an article on the sibelius page... it just doesn't come up at all when you search for it (which seems to defy the point of a search but there we go! I only found it through sheer luck and randomly pressing links!)

Aparently on vista there's 'conflicting DLL's' or something like that...
And there's a fix you can download.... its actually quite easy...
Anyway... the link to the page is
http://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpcen ... language=1
and just follow the instructions on there!
Oh haha 'technical help' are a joke! Unless they just hate me or something... but I e-mailed them like a week ago and they still haven't replied!!!
Hope that helps!!!!!
Oliver :)

whughes
Sibelius Version: 5
Operating System: Windows

Post by whughes » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:19 am

Thank you very much. This worked for me. Very grateful.

nicrams
Sibelius Version: ultimate
Operating System: Mac

Post by nicrams » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:28 pm

Sibelius Ultimate, running with Mohave, crashes on most 'edit text' functions .................. it would appear that Avid are not aware of this problem ???