upgrade to Sibelius 6 for Windows 7 Premium (NOT Pro.)

Use this forum for all hardware and technical related issues (i.e. sound cards, etc.).
LA--songster

Post by LA--songster » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:34 am

I just got a new laptop with Windows 7 Premium, only to discover that it won't work so gracefully with Sibleius 5.2. I was misinformed by the sales person who said Windows 7 can handle Sibelius 5.2 with no problem. I did some online-suggested patches and it still doesn't work. I even tried created a virtual "Windows XP with SP2" environment, then a virtual "Windows Vista with SP 2" environment in order to try to run Sibelius 5.2. Neither one really worked well. (The playback audio of the songs was VERY jumpy.) So... now I'm thinking of getting Sibelius 6 because it supposedly WILL work with Windows 7 Premium--or so I'm assured. (It's time to upgrade, guess.) So my question is...WILL Sibelius 6 actually work with Windows 7 Premium or not? Before I layout the cash I need to know for sure.

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:47 am

The problem isn't the OS, it's the lack of a decent audio system in your laptop.

Two solutions, starting with the free one. Download and install ASIO4ALL. Use that as the audio driver for Sibelius. If that doesn;t work, then you're going to need an external audio interface for your laptop. There are lots out there and the most basic ones will not break the bank.

Upgrading to Sib 6 is well worth it, for Magnetic Layout alone. That's if you can still get an Sib 6 upgrade, now that Sib 7 is out. And Sib 7's requirements are a whole different ball game.

Andy