Arpeggio lines have gone missing!

Use this forum for all hardware and technical related issues (i.e. sound cards, etc.).
sonofjahn

Post by sonofjahn » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:51 pm

All arpeggio lines (normal, up and down) in my scores have been replaced by accordion symbols. Anyone know how to get them back? I have tried to edit the lines in the house style menu, but this means I have to do this for every score. And when I start a new score the accordion symbols are there instead of the wiggly arp lines.

Cheers

Grant

Zapruder

Post by Zapruder » Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:46 am

In order to be able to think about this problem, I need a little more information:
- Are you using a registered version of Sibelius or a cracked version? (Don't be afraid to answer this one: although I'm a registered user, I'm aware some people have "no choice" but to use a cracked version)
- Have you recently upgraded from one version to another?
- Are the lines replaced by accordion symbols in the score itself or in the Lines Menu?
- Does the problem occur in every old score you open?
- Does the problem occur in every new score you open?

Zap
# I am NOT a "Professional Sibelius Trainer"
# Please state the Chapter(s) of the Sibelius User Guide you already searched in order to solve your problem.
# Remember that this is not an official Sibelius website.

sonofjahn

Post by sonofjahn » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:32 am

thanks Zap,

It's a registered version of Sibelius -(version 3 running on a powerbook G4 mac). I haven't upgraded. Accordion symbols occur both in the scores and in the lines menu. It does happen on every old and new score. This has only happened in the last couple of days, so I presume that I've unwittingly hit a shortuct key that I didn't know about. I've recently started using a Targus numeric keypad - but the problem has started a few weeks after I bought that so I don't think that's the problem.

Grant

Zapruder

Post by Zapruder » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:50 am

Thanks for the Info.
I'll have to sit back and think about this one :-) Never heard of something like this happening.
In the mean time, did you try to get your problem solved on the official Sibelius Chatpage? Might be wise to do that, because you can also upload your score there for examination.

Zap
# Please state the Chapter(s) of the Sibelius User Guide you already searched in order to solve your problem.

Zapruder

Post by Zapruder » Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:57 pm

Just to test the state of your version of Sibelius:
- If you open one of the Sibelius Example Scores, does the problem also occur?
If not, there is an elegant and a not so elegant way to deal with the problem.

The elegant solution:
- If you have ever exported the House Style of one of your scores, maybe importing that House Style again might do the trick, since importing House Styles also deals with Lines.

The not so elegant solution:
- Open one of the Example Scores of Sibelius (choose the one that matches your own style the closest).
- Go to House Style > Export House Style and give this style a clear name (like "for the mean time")
- Open one of your scores.
- Go to House Styles > Import House Styles
- Select the House Style you just exported from the Example Score.
- In the dialogue box that appears, untick Staff Types, Noteheads, Clefs, Engraving rules ... , Playback Dictionary, Note Spacing Rule and Chord Symbols .....
- You are now left with only Lines, Symbols and Text Styles selected (you cannot unselect Symbols and Text Styles when Lines is selected because they are linked)
- Click OK
Now you have imported only the Lines, Symbols and Text Styles of the Example Score. All other elements are left unchanged.
Hopefully the Lines and Symbols are correct now.

Maybe you will have to adjust some elements of Lines, Symbols and Text Styles to make this score look exactly as you want.
After having done so, Export this House Style under a clear name (like "My Repair Style").
You can now use this style to import in other scores if you wish to.

Let me know if this helped.

Zap

sonofjahn

Post by sonofjahn » Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:11 pm

Hey Zap,

thanks so much for your reply. It sounds like a good solution, but unfortunately the example scores are all affected by the accordion symbols too.

However I think I can edit the line symbols and then export that as a house style? I'm going to try it now. WIll let you know if that works.

Grant

Zapruder

Post by Zapruder » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:49 pm

Ok, hopefully this does the trick.
If not, I'd be happy to send you an empty score with all lines complete for you to export the House Style from.
Let me know how things are going.

Zap

sonofjahn

Post by sonofjahn » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:04 am

Well, it works in that I can fix my old scores that way. But it's still rather irritating that when I start a new score up I have to import a house style rather than have the correct lines in place automatically. Wonder why this has happened, and if there is a fix that will restore the lines in new scores without me having to import?

Grant

Zapruder

Post by Zapruder » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:00 pm

Maybe this could work:
- Fix one score so that all Lines are correct.
- Export the House Style for further reference.
- Delete all bars of the score except bar 01 (since bar 01 holds all info for titles etc...)
- Create some new empty bars.
- THEN, save the score "as Manuscript Paper"

When you open this Manuscript Paper, the Lines should be there (I hope)

Zap