Sibelius 6 Stopped Working

Use this forum for all hardware and technical related issues (i.e. sound cards, etc.).
gnwalton

Post by gnwalton » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:39 am

I haven't used Sibelius 6 for a couple of months and when I now want to use it urgently, I get the following (Vista) Windows message - "[Sibelius 6 Icon] Sibelius has stopped working". In other words I cannot open it by quick start icon nor from basic application "exe" file. I have left Sibelius 4 installed on my computer and this starts up normally!!!?????
Can anyone help please?
Geoff Walton

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:13 am

I guess you've installed something or done a Windows update since you last used 6.

This is a question best asked on the official Sibelius forum.

gnwalton

Post by gnwalton » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:36 am

Thank you andyg. Actually I thought I was asking this question on the official Sibelius forum....at least that's what it says at the top of this page/window! But I am only a poor antipodean!
I'm going to try a reinstall.

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:31 am

It does look sort of official and Sibelius/Avid don't seem to worry about it!

Official forum is here: http://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpcen ... ?groupid=3 though you've probably already found it. If you've installed something that's messed it up, a reinstall will probably have no effect.

So think what you might have installed or updated first.

gnwalton

Post by gnwalton » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:55 pm

Thanks for the reference to the "other" forum.......I'm still getting my head around the two forums?? I can remember using the "other" official forum some 6 months ago but could not remember how I got into it.
However, good news! I followed "580: Sibelius has stopped working" on the other forum and dutifully ran the "Sibelius Compatibility tool". Although the "FixNow" button was greyed out and was not clickable, I did receive the words "No known problem settings detected.------ Finished initialisation" in the bottom pane.
Then I started Sib6 and it worked!!!!!!! Don't ask me why! I hope someone can understand it.
I had last used Sib6 on 3 November. I don't auto upgrade my Vista OS but AVG is constantly upgraded. I am completely at a loss as what may have caused it, but thankfully now I can resume my preparation of "learning CDs" for our community choir.
Best regards. Geoff