Sibelius 7 not working on different user accounts

Use this forum for all hardware and technical related issues (i.e. sound cards, etc.).
chrish

Post by chrish » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:34 am

Hi

I work in a college and we got 18 new iMacs last summer. All are setup identically as stand alone machines with only access to the wifi.
There is an admin account, and then 3 standard user accounts with Parental controls set to limit access to different settings and programs on the different user areas.
All have Sibelius 7 installed and have been working fine since last summer until this last week or so.

It now only seems to work on the admin account. If you open it up on any other user account the starts up screen will display, the music will play, but then the only thing that shows is the options for the top of the page "File", "Sibelius", "Window" etc.
If you go to file and try and open, or new, etc nothing will happen.
It is doing this on every user account (except admin) on every machine.

The macs are not set to allow any updates so no other software updating will have happened to try an interfere with this.
I've tried the latest update for one machine and latest sibelius update, and this makes no difference.
Also have removed all parental controls to see if this helps, but again the same still happens.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

gderienzo

Post by gderienzo » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:40 am

I have this exact same problem!

Could somebody please give some insight into this matter??
Could this be that students are not getting the correct permission?

I should also point out that in our school Sibelius works for both Admin accounts AND teacher accounts.
Student accounts however open up Sibelius but cannot see a window. They are having the same problem as the OP in the sense that all you can see is the headers but not click anything within them E.g. preferences, new etc

The same version of Sibelius and the same computer are used for both admin accounts and student accounts so it should not be the version of Sibelius or the way it is installed.

-Giovanni

bobp

Post by bobp » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:15 pm

Student computers are seldom set up the same as teacher computers for a lot of reasons.
I suspect that both of you will need to contact Avid support for this issue.
And it is very important to restart a Mac after installing Sibelius.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

gderienzo

Post by gderienzo » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:09 am

After talking to AVID over the past couple of weeks it seems we have finally found a permanent fix to this problem.

The problem lies in Sibelius' News Check, it seems for whatever reason it tampers with students log ins. Either way the fix is described in detail in this helpful article AVID supplied me with:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_U ... o/en423171

From here we added the application to the dock of all our music macs using workgroup manager and this meant the students can just click it once and the program seems to run perfectly after every log in.

-Giovanni