Sib 7 - top of ribbon invisible

Use this forum for all hardware and technical related issues (i.e. sound cards, etc.).
friskett22

Post by friskett22 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:19 pm

Hello,

I have a problem with Sib 7 where it opens files, but with the top half of the "ribbon" (at the top of the user interface) invisible, off the top of the monitor screen. (Please see attached, marked-up screen shot.) This problem appears randomly -- at least, I haven't been able to figure out any pattern. Re-sizing the window using the Windows menu has no effect. I can't move the window, either with the mouse or the Windows Alt-space menu, because the part of the window which is "grab-able" is invisible.

As you can see in the attached screen shot, the whole Sibelius 'ribbon' does show in the Windows 8 mini-view, which shows when the mouse moves over the Sibelius icon at the bottom of the screen.

Since I can't reach any of the menus, I'm unable to work on these files in Sib. 7, which is incredibly frustrating. I'd be grateful for any help.

(My PC runs on Windows 8.)

thanks,
Kim
Attachments
sib-7-screen-problem.jpg
sib-7-screen-problem.jpg (85.68 KiB) Viewed 4879 times

bobp

Post by bobp » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:03 pm

I can't reproduce this. I have seen this once before as a screen resolution problem. Is the ribbon there when you first open Sibelius? If so, there is a "new window" setting that needs to be looked at.
Is the ribbon there if you change the screen orientation to portrait? I know you can't use Sibelius that way, but it will help find the problem.
It looks to me that you have disabled Areo, and probably a few other things, possibly in an effort to save resources. Recheck these settings to see if you did anything that effects how new windows open.

Take the following with whatever grain of salt you want. I think that more and more, Windows is made to run with all the fancy view settings turned on.
Whatever software you have in the task bar is partially open all the time so that they open quickly when you want them. The problem is that all those programs partially open eat up more resources than the fancy graphics do. I think a better way to have a fast computer is to use a good registry and temp files cleaner. Works for me, anyway.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

friskett22

Post by friskett22 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:26 pm

Thank you for the help. When I open Sibelius 7 to a blank screen, the ribbon is fine. When I open a new window in Sibelius, the ribbon is fine. When I open certain files, the ribbon half-disappears. So it appears to be the specific file that's affecting the dimensions of the new window.

I tried your idea of setting the screen setting to "portrait" (took me a while to figure it out, but I got there). The ribbon did magically reappear at the top of the affected file. So I pulled the Sibelius program about halfway down the screen, then changed the screen settings back to landscape. The ribbon stayed in place; I saved the file, closed Sibelius and reopened the affected file, and the ribbon is still correctly in place. (I'm writing this all out in case someone else bumps into the same problem and finds it helpful.)

So thank you very much, I'm not sure what's happening, but this is at least a workaround to retrieve these files.

best,
Kim