Audio / Visual Software (help?)

Use this forum for all hardware and technical related issues (i.e. sound cards, etc.).
monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Tue May 13, 2014 2:11 am

Hi folks,

I really need help with something which is causing me a massive headache please !!

I would like to try and make a couple of videos to whack up on You Tube. What I need is the software were you can film the entire screen of your PC (so exactly what someone would see at their end if they were taking remote access of your computer). There are many instructional videos on You Tube that show (music software products such as) Cubase/Sibelius were the narrator just talks in the background and all you see is his PC screen and what he is doing on it within the music program.

One option is to hold a camcorder in front of the screen but this method looks a bit amateur.

A friend of mine uses CamStudio to create his music videos (though he uses it in a slightly different way). Its a freebie download and on the surface looks perfect for the job. Well anyway, I spent THREE days now trying to get this screen catcher software recording the elements of audio I require, though to no avail. The CamStudio captured all the screenwork in Cubase/Sibelius and otherwise, but SOUND was a different story. It would record me talking into a headset mic and would playback fine. Also, it would record my external synth (running into an external soundcard Interface) and back out thru the connected headphones. What it damn well would NOT do (and I swear I have tried every possible permutation I could think of) is :-

Record the INTERNAL sound of audio files playing in Cubase !! I could hear them when I pressed play (with the CamStudio running in 'record' mode), but no sound whatsoever during playback. So just like a silent movie picture.

So anyway, what I need is software which will (all at once on the same PC) :-

Record my voice (narration) thru my Sennheiser headset mic,

Record the SYSTEM SOUND,

and Record the full-size screen imagery as I film the tutorial.

I installed a free trial of 'Apowersoft' and managed to get the System Sound recording ok for a while, but I just spent four hours trying to get the narration (thru the Sennheiser mic) registering.

I am totally at a loss on how to get this to work ?? I emailed Apowersoft and thought that this was possible, and also after watching many of their tutorials, it seemed so because it has a "Record System Sound / Record Mic" option.

I hope I have explained this ok and I thank you all in advance for any kind assistance offered. I am now at a total loss and have asked so many friends and family who are not able to advise. All of the You Tube instructionals did not deal with the problem as it presents itself in my particular scenario.

Does anyone here have experience with Apowersoft or any similar software which will do the job. I was part way thru a MOOC and have had to abandon it sadly due to this massive hurdle.

Thanks in advance guys...

Ta,

Paul
Rhodes Stage & Suitcase / MiniMoog / MultiMoog / Hohner E7 Clav / Yamaha DX7 & DX21 / Nord Stage 88 / Roland Juno 6 & XV5050

Dell Inspiron, Win 7, 8GB RAM, 2.13gHz.

Dell Inspiron 3737, Win 8, 4GB RAM, 1.70gHz

Cubase Artist 8 / Sibelius 7

bobp

Post by bobp » Tue May 13, 2014 9:03 pm

My guess is that any video editing software will do this. You don't need to do it in one pass. I would think you would have more control if you do the screen capture with system sound first. Then add voiceover afterward. ATube Catcher will doo the the screen capture. Put the output into a video editor and add voice over. Make sure you have up to date drivers for your head set. Maybe many of the videos you watch are done in one pass, but many that I see are not well done. By the way Sibelius 7.5 will make a video file of music with the playback line moving on the music.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Tue May 13, 2014 9:44 pm

Hello Bob,

Thank you very much indeed for your kind reply.

Yes, that's the way its looking. After receiving a couple of replies (on other forums) I am hearing the same advice. You see, you know what us musicians are like ?? We want EVERYTHING !! :lol:

I have not heard of ATube Catcher so I will check it out...

So you mean film all the visual events, export the AVI and import it into Windows Movie Maker, and then add the (overdub) 'narration' (maybe even reading it from a script) ??

I think that's what you are suggesting in this instance ??

My main issue (with the software I have tested so far) is that it does not always record 'System Sound' when you have a soundcard plugged in (for example, I obviously need to have my 'Steinberg C12+ Interface' connected to be able to open up and access Cubase). :shock:

Have you used ATube Catcher before in your work ??

Best,

Paul