Sibelius 7.5 crashes when changing playback configuration

Use this forum for all hardware and technical related issues (i.e. sound cards, etc.).
Oddologist
Sibelius Version: 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by Oddologist » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:42 pm

Hello all,

I've been using Sibelius 7.5 for about four months, finally getting past the learning curve and starting to like it.

I have been using a few different VST's for my sounds and I make a new playback configuration for each song, then set Sibelius to open each song's configuration on open.

A couple weeks ago Sibelius started crashing every time I opened a new song (as in, I open a song that was not the last one opened). I started to get the idea that it was related to the playback configuration and found that even if I try to change to playback configuration manually it still crashes. This happens no matter what playback configuration I'm on or going to, including to or from general MIDI. I've gone as far as deleting the playback configurations and re-making them but that doesn't help the issue.

At the same time that this came up, Sibelius also started to re-open every time I closed it. It would just auto restart, sometimes four or five times before staying closed.

(I hope that was all clear, feel free to ask for clarification if anything was not explained well.)

I don't know whether these two things are related but they did start to happen in the same session.

I've looked around the net and this forum, I don't see this coming up anywhere. Any ideas?

Oddologist

Post by Oddologist » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:00 am

Wow, I just finally figured this out, after months of frustration and even going so far as to wipe my hard drives and re-install my entire system with no luck.

It turns out that one of the VSTs that I was using was choking up the system. Once I took that out everything started working fine. In this case it was the DSK ChoirZ plug-in. I've had trouble with that one before, but never with any of the other DSK plug-ins.

If you come across a similar situation I'd suggest taking out plug-ins one at a time to see if it resolves the problem.

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:18 am

For future reference for anyone reading this, that is the standard procedure with a VSTi based problem like this, whether in Sibelius or a DAW. Shift them all into a new folder where the app won't see them and bring them back one at a time - or simply move out those you suspect of misbehaving and bring those back in individually.

Oddologist

Post by Oddologist » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:30 am

Quite right Andy. I should have figured this out much more quickly because I have the experience to know better.