Sibelius Crashes a lot

Use this forum for all hardware and technical related issues (i.e. sound cards, etc.).
hmowday
Sibelius Version: 7.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by hmowday » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:50 am

I know the subject is rather vague, but who else finds that Sib 7.5 (mac) crashes a lot?
I'm running latest versions on Yosemite and on my notebook it crashes out every 30 minutes. I can get it to crash on this machine by just selecting a bar and clicking on the "TEXT" menu. It crashes. I have an iMac (Latest everything again) which by even clicking on a bar crashes. Both machines are Carbon Copy Clones.

The only stable ('ish) system is an OLD hard drive on an external drive that I have to boot up from.

This is crazy!!!!.....Am I the only one?

I've tried disabling plugins,....NOPE,...just not sure how to even go about problem solving this.
Avid is useless

Oddologist
Operating System: Windows

Post by Oddologist » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:36 pm

This is a little out of my realm but if I'm interpreting this correctly you are booting Sibelius from an external drive to use on your iMac. I believe I have read that booting Sibelius from an external drive is known to cause problems. It should be installed directly on to your computer. Hope that helps.

hmowday

Post by hmowday » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:05 pm

Thats the funny thing, its the most stable when i'm booting off an external drive.

I'm trying to figure out how to get Sibelius to not crash on my iMac and notebook

Oddologist
Operating System: Windows

Post by Oddologist » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:17 am

Hmm . . . I've got no other ideas. I haven't had this issue. Best of luck.

bobp

Post by bobp » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:09 pm

Sibelius is very picky about the hardware it is installed on. More so than any other software I own. If Sibelius is installed on your laptop,Sibelius aligns itself with the OS, system files, and drivers, and hardware for that computer. If you boot from an external drive, even if the OS is identical, everything Sibelius needs is in a different place. If Sibelius is installed on the external drive, the same thing happens. Only this time the hardware is different (and therefore drivers also). In either case, I'm not surprised Sibelius crashes. All your other software might work OK.
So we need a little more info on just what you have, and what you are trying to do. The legalities of an OS on an external drive aside.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

hmowday

Post by hmowday » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:06 am

Thanks for your reply. How would you suggest I even go about problem solving this?

I've just upgraded to Sib8 (OS X) and although it is great deal more stable, it still crashes.

I've tried it with the internal sound card, and various sound cards I use. Fierce UFX, 800, 400 Babyface.
These drivers are all up to date and extremely stable with my daw (Logic X)

I've moved all my plugins (VST, AU, AAX) and still the problem persists.

Any other suggestions?