All of the sudden NO SOUND

Use this forum for all hardware and technical related issues (i.e. sound cards, etc.).
HeikkiElo
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by HeikkiElo » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:23 pm

Hi there!

I´m running Sibelius 7.1.3 on iMAC.
Problems is, that the sound disappears. Very often after I´ve edited something.

I can get it back by going to:
Playback Devices ->Audio Engine Options -> Interface
and by clicking Babyface (which is my interface) it comes back.

This is I have to do quite frequently.
After my MAC has been sleeping, I have to do the same, other wise there is no sound at all.

I´ve had this problem with previous Sibelius versions also.
Then again if Sibelius is not loaded, everything is working well (sound wise).

I´m puzzled, why does this happen? Is it because of the Sibelius or Babyface (RME)?

Anybody else having similar problems?

- Heikki Elo

gainescf
Sibelius Version: Sibelius 7.1
Operating System: Mac

Post by gainescf » Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:55 pm

I had the same problem. I tried rebooting the computer and opened Sibelius again. It seems to have worked.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:31 am

If you are running 7.x on any recent Mac, you are very lucky to have got it working.

Mac users seem particularly prone to just letting their machines go to sleep or hibernate with Sibelius open. This has always been a very bad idea. Sibelius (particulalry older versions like 7 or earlier) are very bad at reconnecting to devices after sleep/hibernate. The latest versions are better at it, but it is still problematic. I don't know why Mac users are averse to re-starting their machines, but a restart will often solve niggling problems like this.

Check that you have the very latest drivers for your sound hardware. However, make sure you do not have auto-update enabled. Apple [spit] have recently been expoiting push updates. Earlier (unsupported) versions of Mac OS and sibelius are damaged by these updates. The only way for you to continue working is to completely reset the Mac to factory defaults ncluding formatting the hard drive; turn off auto updates and then reinstall the MacOS, sibelius (and all your other software).
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk