Question(s)

Use this forum for all hardware and technical related issues (i.e. sound cards, etc.).
white cloud 8

Post by white cloud 8 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:23 pm

Hi,

I have two questions:

1) How can I set the time limit for the musical composition e.g. for 3 minutes?

2) When I am done with the piece, what 'player' would it open up in if I were to burn it to a CD-R?

BTW: I am composing three (3) musical compositions for my video projects.

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:58 pm

white cloud 8 wrote:1) How can I set the time limit for the musical composition e.g. for 3 minutes?.
From Sibelius 2 onwards there is a timer which will allow you to time your composition. Or else do some maths - work out how many bars you need from the beats-per-minute and beats-per-bar.
he/she also wrote:2) When I am done with the piece, what 'player' would it open up in if I were to burn it to a CD-R??.
It depends. If you are using Kontakt Player you can make a .wav file which will open in most Media Players. Or, there is loads of free software on the internet which will turn a .wav or .aiff file into an ordinary CD file so that most CD players will play it.

If you don't have Kontakt Player you'll need to save as a MIDI file or use some recording software (again, lots of free downloads e.g Audacity) but that will work only if your sound card is full duplex.

white cloud 8

Post by white cloud 8 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:35 am

I have Sibelius 4, so it should be an option, correct?

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:50 pm

white cloud 8 wrote:I have Sibelius 4, so it should be an option, correct?
If you have Sibelius 4 you have Kontakt Player Silver which will record directly to .wav file (Windows) or .aiff(Mac). Use File>Export>Audio or click the CD icon on the taskbar.

If you have Kontakt Gold or the Rock and Pop collection or GPO (with Sibelius 4.1) you will be able to record scores with more instruments, but anything that will play back on Kontakt Silver will record.

You may need to check the Mixer to make sure you don't have any parts of your score being played back by your sound card or similar device such as MS Wavetable synth - those sounds won't record directly in Sibelius.

white cloud 8

Post by white cloud 8 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:40 am

hmmm...I can't select 'Audio' under Export :?, what could that mean?

dspreadbury

Post by dspreadbury » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:55 pm

It means you haven't installed Kontakt Player correctly.

white cloud 8

Post by white cloud 8 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:15 am

Hi,

another question: I have a musical composition which has currently six (6) columns of notes (is that what they are called? or staves?), I would like to know how I can add another column/stave to continue adding more notes? It is at 00:01'31.2, I need to make it around three (3) minutes long.

-thanx

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:23 pm

white cloud 8 wrote:another question: I have a musical composition which has currently six (6) columns of notes (is that what they are called? or staves
I think you need to learn what to call things if you are going to get helpful answers either from this kind of forum or from the Sibelius reference. I think you must be talking about 6 systems here if you want to add more time to your piece of music, not add another instrument to your score.

If you did want to add another instrument, which will need its own stave, then in Sibelius 4 go to Layout > Instruments and staves (in earlier versions of Sibelius it is Create > Instrument).

But I don't think that's what you want. To add more music at the end of your score you need Create > Bar> At End for which the shortcut is Ctrl-B. Every time you press this you will add another bar (also called a measure)at the end of the piece, and you can just go on doing this as long as you need to. You don't need to worry about systems or pages - just add more bars and Sibelius will take care of the rest.

There are other ways to add a particular number of bars, which you can probably work out from the menu options given in Create > Bar