copying/pasting with tuplets

Place your wishlist here. Maybe the Sibelius developers will honor your requests.
gmardoc

Post by gmardoc » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:20 pm

I'm sure most Sibelius users have been frustrated by the fact that you can't copy a single partial of a tuplet, or paste things to a note that is part of a tuplet. If we try, we get that annoying sound and error message. After we're done cursing ourselves for forgetting to select the entire tuplet, we still have to click "ok" and start over. I'm sure there is a programming reason behind this, but there HAS to be a solution.

I'm assuming the reason it currently can't be done without highlighting the entire triplet is that a triplet is sort of like a single object, as far as the program is concerned, rather than a string of three objects. Because of this, the user has to select the entire tuplet "object" in order to copy or attach something to it. We can't copy just a piece of an "object." If, however, we take the extra couple seconds to highlight and select the entire tuplet, we can copy it or paste something to it without a problem. Does this sound like a fair assessment in non-programming terms?

I'm wondering if there is a way to automate this process.

If the user copies an expression or text, selects a single partial of a triplet and clicks "paste":

Instead of displaying an error message and making that annoying sound, Sibelius should just automatically highlight the rest of that tuplet and perform the paste as intended.

If the user selects a single partial of a tuplet and clicks "copy":

Instead of displaying an error message and making that annoying sound, Sibelius should just automatically highlight the rest of that tuplet, copy it in its entirety, and replace the other partials with rests (behind the scenes). Then, when the user pastes it somewhere else, it will appear as a full tuplet with a note on one of the partials, and rests on all the others. Perhaps it will even be possible to copy and paste multiple partials of a tuplet this way as well (e.g. the 2nd and 3rd partials of a triplet, but not the first).

If this new feature is technically possible, it will relieve a huge amount of frustration for just about every Sibelius user.
Gabriel Mardoc

I am currently using:
Sibelius 5.2.5
Virtual Drumline 2.5.2
Windows XP
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS (sound card)
no MIDI keyboard