Sibelius MXLM stave import limit

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
zanc
Sibelius Version: 2024.3.1
Operating System: Mac

Post by zanc » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:33 pm

Just starting with Sibelius First which says it can create scores up to 16 staves. I'm trying to input a choral score with 4 staves (SATB) and piano and it says Sibelius can only import a max of 4 staves. Is this a limit of Sibelius in general or the Sibelius First edition.

I have noticed if you follow a few links the product page says "Create scores up to 16 staves" which seems to be reduced to 4 on the comparison page "Composing simple scores with up to 4 instrument parts (staves)"

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:47 pm

Very likely a restriction. In fact Sibelius First is so restricted that it's really not worth having at all. Sibelius Artist is a little better but Ultimate is the only version that is any good.

Unless you have plans to upgrade from First to Ultimate, I'd abandon ship and get Musescore 4. It's far more powerful and comes with a sound library of good sounds, far better than the GM voices that First has to use. And it's free.

Many of the features and keystrokes are the same as, or very similar to Sibelius, so if you did change up to Ultimate, the learning curve is not too steep.

zanc
Sibelius Version: 2024.3.1
Operating System: Mac

Post by zanc » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:16 pm

Thanks for the info. restarted the Sibelius in Trial mode and the n it worked. So, yes, it appears restricted in Free version - Even though it advertises itself as up to 16 staves on the Sibelius home page.