Removing specific barlines

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
AnonI

Post by AnonI » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:32 pm

I have faxed scores that need to be rebuilt (The faxes made the scores barely readible). I am using sibelius 5.1. On some of the scores, the barlines on the first system are extended between staves but the rest of the systems do not. The first systems on those scores are introduction systems. They need to have barlines extend to the second staff.

I tried to drag the purple box to remove barlines between staves as stated in the manual, but it does this on the [b]entire [/b] score. I only want it to be done on the first system only. How do I go about doing this? I will post examples later

marcschonbrun

Post by marcschonbrun » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:20 pm

Just draw them in using lines from the Create > Lines panel.

Zapruder

Post by Zapruder » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:39 pm

Hi Alex and Marc,

Marc, you really want Alex to draw barlines through the Lines Menu every single bar? I hope not, because that would be a very unpractical workaround.

Alex, I wonder why you would want to have different separation of barlines in the first system only ... but hey, you just have a very good reason.
To trick Sibelius into achieving what you want, you could do the following:
- Create all instruments in your score twice. I mean: two sets of the same instruments in one score.
- Create and edit all music, symbols, etc in one of the two sets of instruments
- When done, copy all the material in the second set of staves
- Now, you have two exact copies on top of eachother
- Drag the barlines of the first system so that it matches your criteria
- Drag the barlines of the second system so that it matches your criteria
- Create a System Break at the barline of your choice
- Then delete music of system one from system break till end
- Then delete music of system two from start to system break
- Select all (Ctrl+A)
- Ctrl+shift+alt+H hide empty staves

Done!

Zap
# I am NOT a "Professional Sibelius Trainer"
# Please state the Chapter(s) of the Sibelius User Guide you already searched in order to solve your problem.
# Remember that this is not an official Sibelius website.

AnonI

Post by AnonI » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:16 pm

OMG! Thank you soo much... I read similar procedures elsewhere (something about creating/editing instruments and weird stuff) but yours is the BEST!. I've spent hours trying to figure out how to do this and I did it in just five minutes using your procedure.

Thanks again! :D

Zapruder

Post by Zapruder » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:45 pm

Glad I could help you out.

Still wondering as to why you want different separations in the first system ... could you tell me the reason, 'cause I like to learn too!

Zap
# Please state the Chapter(s) of the Sibelius User Guide you already searched in order to solve your problem.

AnonI

Post by AnonI » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:28 pm

Oh yeah, the reason...

For some reason, scores (in my case, hymns) that have an introductory system (1 system introduction, without lyrics, which is basically a repeat of a line in a song) look better with lines on the first system. I would like to show you a comparison, but the scores are copyright - all I'm doing is trying to replicate the exact same details as in the faxed scores that I receive.

I dont know how to explain it, but imagine a one page song - with the first system as introduction and the rest with lyrics - written such that all systems dont have barlines extending to its second staff. Depending on the song, your gut-feeling may tell you that there should be barlines extended to the second staff of the first system. And when you print it out, it'll look great.

marcschonbrun

Post by marcschonbrun » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:46 am

I didn't quite see the scope of this, so yes, my workaround sucked...

Zapruder

Post by Zapruder » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:16 am

Thanks for explaining the reason, Alex. I fully understand the type of score you're trying to replicate, and yes, you need this workaround to do it.

Yo Marc, don't feel bad. This is not a "best workaround competition" :)

Be well,

Zap

TonyK47
Sibelius Version: 7.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by TonyK47 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:43 pm

For anyone still trying to figure that out - in the newer versions of Sibelius you can create your own instrument templates by clicking the arrow at the lower right corner of the instruments panel.

Then you can proceed to create your own instrument with any kind of staff type and settings that you need as well as disabled barlines!

Happy engraving,
AK 8)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 16.42.12.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 16.42.12.png (116.1 KiB) Viewed 11066 times
Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 16.41.07.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 16.41.07.png (20.48 KiB) Viewed 11066 times

bobp

Post by bobp » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:09 pm

AnonI,

Just for your own information.

"I would like to show you a comparison, but the scores are copyright"

Check copyright laws where you are. Most publishers don't allow any kind of copies of their published music. Some countries are more liberal. But whoever faxed the music broke copyright and your trying to replicate the score may also brake copyright. In the United States, publishers fine organizations millions of dollars if they find them making illegal copies.
Just a thought. I know, everyone copies music.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:50 am

Did you spot the date of his post, Bob? 2007! :)

But good info, as always!

bobp

Post by bobp » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:37 pm

Ah, well.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop