how to get chords on all lines

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
anthony

Post by anthony » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:30 pm

How can I get chords on all lines, so that when I type them in the top line, they go on all the others two? I had a look through the manual and found nothing....

Thanks,

Anthony

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:17 pm

anthony wrote:How can I get chords on all lines
Sounds like you need to copy and multiple paste — is that right? And are you talking about chord diagrams or notated chords?

If it's notated chords, select the passage and copy (Ctrl-C or Mac or Menu equivalent). Now select the staves where you want it copied, and paste with Ctrl-V. It should paste the same thing into all staves selected.

If you want to copy chord diagrams, you need to select just the diagrams. So there's an extra step: after you select the passage, use Edit > Filter > Chord Diagrams to just get the chords, then copy with Ctrl-C and go on from there.

anthony

Post by anthony » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:51 pm

Thanks for your response. I just want the chord symbols ("Cmaj7#9" etc etc) to show up above every part when I come to view and print the individual parts, and I'd rather not have to copy and paste them all over the full "conductors" score if I don't have to, because that gets very confusing and it's a pain when you have to copy the same chord 20 times.

To be honest I'm amazed Sib doesn't do this any way. It goes to all the bother of transposing the chords for you (which is great btw) but then won't put them above individual parts! Why would you even want different chords on different parts? Mad.

Many thanks for your help. If actually copying the chords manually to each part is the only way, then I'll leave it until last so I can actually see what I'm doing!

Cheers.

Zapruder

Post by Zapruder » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:23 pm

Hi there,

I could counter your question with this one: "What is the purpose of having chords in all parts?" I mean, why do all musicians need the chords??? But that's just me ...

In the mean time, here is a way to get what you want without cluttering the Full Score.

- Create the chord symbols in one part (like one of the rhythm section parts)
- When done creating all chord symbols, select the whole passage that contains these chord symbols: click first bar > [Shift+click] last bar
- Select all chord symbols at once typing [Alt+E] I M (all chord symbols are now blue)
- Copy these chord symbols in one staff only by Alt+Click-ing the first bar
- RightClick the first copied chord symbol (all should be still selected!) and in the popup menu, select View in Parts
- Now Alt+Click-copy all these chord symbols in all other desired staves.

- You will not see these copies chord symbols in the Full Score (unless you select "Hidden Objects" in the View menu) and they will appear in all parts.

This seems a complex task, but just try it once: it's very quick and easy!

Hope this helps.

Be well, Zap
# I am NOT a "Professional Sibelius Trainer"
# Please state the Chapter(s) of the Sibelius User Guide you already searched in order to solve your problem.
# Remember that this is not an official Sibelius website.

anthony

Post by anthony » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:34 pm

Zap,

Thank you so much for your help - works fine!
"What is the purpose of having chords in all parts?" I mean, why do all musicians need the chords???
Fair point. We won't have much time to rehearse, and so if I decide to change the way we do things, it'd be as well for all the people to have the chords so that they can solo easily, and to give them as much information as possible if we decide that the way I've written the tune isn't going to work. I feel that music means nothing without the chords behind it. Also I'm a bass player and my note-reading's far from perfect: when there are no chords (for example a walking bass part written out) I find it very difficult and get annoyed!

Zapruder

Post by Zapruder » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:01 pm

anthony wrote:
Fair point. We won't have much time to rehearse, and so if I decide to change the way we do things, it'd be as well for all the people to have the chords so that they can solo easily, and to give them as much information as possible
Ok, I see. And also, I agree: in some situations (and some styles) it is just plain smart to add as much info as you can. I just wondered.
anthony wrote: Also I'm a bass player and my note-reading's far from perfect: when there are no chords (for example a walking bass part written out) I find it very difficult and get annoyed!
Uhmm yeah ... well ... I'm a bass player myself and I kinda found a remedy to the problem of "slow reading" .... learn to read faster :lol:
But I do share your dislike of walking bass parts without chord symbols: I get annoyed myself when having to deal with those. Especially when these "extremely beautiful lines" are written by "composers/arrangers" who have no clue as to how a walking bassline works ... you know what I mean.

Thanks for anwsering my question!

Be well, Zap
# I am NOT a "Professional Sibelius Trainer"
# Please state the Chapter(s) of the Sibelius User Guide you already searched in order to solve your problem.
# Remember that this is not an official Sibelius website.

anthony

Post by anthony » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:54 pm

God don't get me started on those "helpful" written-out walking bass lines...
Zapruder wrote: I kinda found a remedy to the problem of "slow reading" .... learn to read faster
Hahaha quite! I'm thinking of actually taking up piano again and ploughing through some hymn books to get my reading up - my thinking is if I can read four+ notes at a time then one by itself should be easy...!

fwhole
Sibelius Version: 7
Operating System: Windows

Post by fwhole » Wed May 13, 2015 12:07 pm

what is the point of having chords on all parts?
If you are creating a part for a jazz ensemble it's essential, with the possible exception of the drummers part. :D