inputting piano chords - sib replaces notes

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
momara2

Post by momara2 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:17 pm

Does anyone else have a problem with Sibelius replacing notes as you try to input them into a chord (on the same beat)? Say I want to input a G chord in four voices divided between the bass and treble clefs and I have a D in soprano and G in bass. When I go to fill in the B4 for the alto part, it inputs it but also deletes the D in soprano. I can go in afterward and re-input the D but its just a pain to keep losing my notes. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks so much. I'm baffled.

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:15 am

momara2 wrote: Does anyone know how to fix this?
It can't be fixed because this is how Sibelius is designed. You will have to learn some new work habits.

If you are using the mouse or Step-Time input, input both notes as you go. But if you are coming back to add notes later you can:

1. Re-input both notes (i.e. play D and B), but only if you're using MIDI Step-Tme input
2. Use separate voices (you can re-combine notes into the same voice later if they have the same durations)
3. Do it the way Sibelius designed it - Add Interval. There's stuff about this on page 10 of the Sibelius 5 Reference. Two methods to Add Interval:
- 3a. Select the existing note then use Shift plus the note you want (only adds above the selected note) OR
- 3b. Select the existing note and use numerals 1–9 (from the main keyboard, not the keypad) to add that interval above or Shift-1–9 to add notes below

Because there are several methods (as with most things in Sibelius) you might have to try several ways to find the way that best suits you.

alexeijazz
Sibelius Version: 7.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by alexeijazz » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:44 am

Adding intervals is a pretty ridiculous way of entering a cord.

In addition sometimes the notes in the chord aren't erased by entering the next note, sometimes they do - and what is the difference of my actions I couldn't figure out.

Once more - people like me, used to enter noted on music paper without keyboard should have some familiar way to do it on the screen.
My opinion - notes should stay when I add more and erasing should be an alternative way, triggered, say, by some key. And as I say, sometimes it goes exactly as I want it - continues adding notes to a chord, and then suddenly the next note erases all entered before. For me it feels like a annoying bug.

bobp

Post by bobp » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:56 pm

Agreed. Entering notes by interval is not intuitive. In the above example (good job finding a post from 2008), you would need to enter the B and D one after the other. Otherwise Sibelius will erase the first note every time. So, it looks like the treble clef D was added first, then the bass G. Then the When the B was added to the treble clef, the D was erased. That's how it works. To avoid that enter all the notes in the chord, top down or bottom up. Even if you don't know for sure what the notes are, enter something. You can move them later.
OR, you can enter the soprano and bass notes using voice 1 (blue notes), then switch to voice 2 (green notes on the keypad) to enter the alto notes. And so forth. Use this method especially if note values are different between parts. This is why I suspect some of your notes are being erased: different note values in the same chord and voice (default blue voice).
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop