how do you use the forte marking?

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
darkcystal1

Post by darkcystal1 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:03 am

how do you add a forte marking? thx

anthonyzerillocomposer

Post by anthonyzerillocomposer » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:01 am

darkcystal1 wrote:how do you add a forte marking? thx
1. Select the note where you want the dynamic to be placed.
2. Click CTRL and E (Expression) and a flashing cursor will appear.
3. Either right click where the cursor is and choose "f" from the menu which appears, or type "f" then click anywhere else. "f" will appear in italic and will create a forte playback.

You can select the "f" and use the cursors to position better if you wish, if it is too close to any note, symbols etc...

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:12 am

darkcystal1 wrote:how do you add a forte marking? thx
It sounds as if you need to read the Handbook, and the on-line Reference. You could also look at the tutorial videos supplied.

Short answer: select a note; Ctrl+E (shortcut for Create > Text > Expression) then Ctrl+f to place the dynamic.

mothra
Sibelius Version: 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by mothra » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:09 am

Sebasian,

the program is not straight forward. Even the projects are not organised coherently and easily followable. They assume too much and even following their instructions doekn't always yield the desired result.
I came from using Musescore which although being nowhere near the quality of sibelius is far more user friendly.
Everything you need on writing a score is immediately in front of you. You should not have to go looking to use a dynamic marking or slur like you do with sibelius. Sibelius has a keypad which is not utilised like other programs. Forte and pianos, slurs, crescendos etc should all be 'ON THE KEYPAD!!!!'. Having to look for everything just to write music????.....
You can't even grab the cursor and move it to a position on the score. You can't change the tempo as you please by having a play box with all functions. I had to look on a similar forum to find it hidden as the 'transport' box.....and even then I cannot choose certain tempos on a tempo slider.....it has 88 then 100. What about all tempos between those markings????
As much as the sounds are good this program is very problematic. There are thousands of forums and blogs out there from ppl having simar problems.....looking for simple things that on sibelius that are hidden. It may be user friendly to the guys who work at sibeliusbut they have not thought about the little things that would make using this program so much easier.