Replay problems

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
charlesh

Post by charlesh » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:25 pm

I tried to send a small sib file sample as an attachment, but this format (sib) was not allowed. How can I send it to someone to play it and advise?

I have a small extract from a larger score (4 measures of violin solo with a simple string accompaniment), it has in the solo a sixteenth triplet in the first and third beat of each measure to be played springing upbow and sound - as we used to call it - rolling pearls. In replay it does not sound that at all, rather with the preceding eight note together as a somewhat mushy quarter note. I tried staccato, spiccato, removed the tie, write as thirtysecond notes followed by thirtysecond pauses, you name it. Just does not work.
In the past, to correct a not too satisfactory violin legato I changed Play-Performance-Note duration - Unslurred notes to 96% and Play-Dictionary-StaffLines-Slur-Adjust Durations to 103%. This helped somewhat with legato, but changing these values didn't effect the replay problem with the triplets.
Also in Play-Performance I set everything to Meccanico, Removed Reverb - no effect.
SIB 2.5.2 KP2 and Garritan Personal Orchestra (later purchased separately, so I can use not only the "essential" sounds included in SIB 5.2.5)
Dell Dimension 8300 3 Ghz, 2 GB mem, plenty of space on two HDs. I still have to original soundboard SB Live! and installed M-Audio Audiophile 2496 as well.

Please let me know how can I send the sample. Thank you.

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:45 am

charlesh wrote: In replay it does not sound that at all
The attack phase of the GPO solo string samples is such that, by the time there is an appreciable volume of sound, a short note has already stopped (if you see what I mean). So these notes are almost certainly 'played' by Sibelius, but not heard.

You might have to check this by using another set of sounds. I use a soundfont (with the Sfz player) - you might also like try the default sounds on your computer just to see if it makes any difference.

You might also be able to at least get the general idea of how it sounds with one of the GPO ensemble string sounds, which have specific patches for short notes (e.g. Full Strgs Short Bows KS).

charlesh

Post by charlesh » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:46 pm

Thank you Sebasian

I calculated the time duration for :

1 The actual case: Tempo 112 = 1.87 quarter notes per sec. In each quarter there are 6 staccato sixteenth triplets, so the time duration is 44 milliseconds for each of the sixteenth staccato note of the triplet.

2. Created a scale in the same noterange, Tempo 180 = 3 quarter note per sec. There are 4 staccato sixteenth notes in each quarter - 12 notes per sec, so the time duration is 42 milliseconds for each of the staccato sixteenth note.

3. Same scale but with sixteenth triplets Tempo 180 = 3 quarter note per sec. 6 staccato sixteenth notes in each quarter - 18 sixteenth triplets per sec. Duration 28 millisecond per each staccato sixteenth note of the triplets.

While in case #1 the triplets "didn't sound" (rather kind a mushy quarter note together with the preceding eight note) the staccato sixteenths in case # 2 and the staccato sixteenth of triplets came through clean and crispy. Time duration in case # 2 is almost the same, in case # 3 is much lower.

So there must be some other explanation for my problem in the original score than the time involved in the attack range of each note in solo violin.

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:28 am

charlesh wrote:. . . there must be some other explanation for my problem in the original score . . .
Without a score it's difficult to tell what this may be. It depends on the instrument Sibelius is choosing, exact details on notation, what else is going on t the time and probably other things as well.

If you ask the webmaster nicely perhaps he/she will unclog whatever is stopping you from uploading a file; other wise you might try showing a screen shot (it might help solve the puzzle).

What does it sound like with other sounds or other playback devices? That too might give someone a clue.

charlesh

Post by charlesh » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:29 pm

Thank you for your advise, you are right, no need for score just for a couple of measures of the violin solo. The problem is the same with or without the string section accompaniment.Your best advise is to try out other Playback Devices. I did.

In Menu - Play-Playback Devices several available are listed, tried them as follows:

1. The original problem: Kontakt Player 2 , came with Garritan Personal Orchestra, purchased separately so I have not only the "essentials" included in Sibelius 5.2.5. Plays via the M Audio Delta Audiophile soundboard installed lately.
It plays the staccato/slurred sixteenth triplets all right but no staccato, fair at tempo like quarter = 50, but mushes up at q=112 or higher. Sound of solo violin is fine (Stradivarius?)

2. Available PLayback Device A: SB Live! MIDI Synth, Plays via the Creative Sb Live! Value soundboard original to the Dell Dimension 8300 PC. Excellent staccato for the triplets at any tempo, slow or fast, even the staccato sounds a little too sharp. But the violin solo is rather poor (it is a synth sound) as well as the other instruments. I would loose the GPO sounds.

3. B: SB Live! MIDI Synth - same as Par 2 above.

4. Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth MIDI, plays again via the SB Live board. Sounds very much the same as Par 2 (SB Live!)

5. Delta AP MIDI, came with the installation of the M Audio Delta Audiophile board. NO sound with either boards (?)

6. SB Live! UART again no sound with either boards.

So the Kontakt Player via the M Audio and the Synths (SB Live and Microsoft GS) via the SB Live board sound but the Delta MIDI and SB UART do not.

This might help, it seems that KP2 does not want to recognize the sixteenth note staccato or even spiccato (either in a slurred or separate mode).

Any advise? Thank you.

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:08 pm

charlesh wrote: Sound of solo violin is fine (Stradivarius?)
Tastes vary - try the Guarneri or Gagli violin sounds to see if you can get a better result.

You might also like to try editing the 'Live' settings - you might be able to slightly lengthen notes without creating a cloud of sound.

But I'm afraid I've never really had great success with this kind of figure, using GPO and Essentials, particularly anything mixing dots and bowing marks (slurs) - I always disable the slurs.

damker
Sibelius Version: 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by damker » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:24 pm

Are any video formats supported for attachments?
Thanks.

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:32 am

Not as far as I'm aware. Host it somewhere else and put a link to it.

damker
Sibelius Version: 7.5

Post by damker » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:56 am

Thanks andyg.
D.