Recording notation through MIDI and Electronic Drums

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
radaudiodesigns

Post by radaudiodesigns » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:13 pm

Hi There,

I really hope you can help! Im a complete newbie to notation software, and looking for some advice.

I am trying to record drum notation using MIDI. The midi input is a Yamaha DTXtreme 3 drumkit, which i can use to send MIDI to either Cubase or Sibelius.

Im not quite sure how to set this up correctly, currently i have a few questions -

1. If i try to record directly into Sibelius 6, The notes enter the stave as the incorrect notes. I am unsure how to assign or map the correct pads(midi notes) to the correct lines. eg. I play the HiHat and it appears on the bottom line instead of the top.

2. When i do record directly into Sibelius 6, the notation is off time - standard quarter notes or eighth notes are showing as dotted swung notes and out of sync. Is there some sort of latency?

3. I can record Midi quite easily into cubase - from there i can also quantize the midi, so its in the correct timing etc. I am however, having difficulties importing the tracks into Sibelius 6. Do you save the files differently, or is there a different way to import? When i save a midi track in cubase, its saved as a .CPR file.

Sorry for the long post - hope you can help, id really appreciate it!

Thanks a mill
Ryan 8)

panhero

Post by panhero » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:12 pm

I think I can help you out here, seeing as I intend to try this myself when I can afford it.

1. What You need to do is make sure that your drum concole (forget the actual name) is assigned to the right midi pitches. If you input using your console default settings, a snare might be set to C4, but in sibelius, C4 might mean high hat, or bass drum. So you need to check what pitched are mapped to whatever percussion you are using in sibelius, and set you drum kit to match. There is a tutorial on pitched percussion mapping here
http://www.sibelius.com/webdemo/video/u ... ssion.html

2. There is an amount of latency with any digital system, most people recommend that you don't listen to the metronome or any monitor system in your drum kit, this will allow you to play with greater accuracy and less confusuin.

3. I don't use cubase, but My best bet would be to Export as a midi, a MusicXML, or one of the other files sibelius supports.; open it in sibelius, and just copy and paste your drum line. There may be another way, but that should be foolproof.

Jamal

Post by Jamal » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:16 am

Hi,

Please allow me to revive the topic. I'm using Sibelius 7 and I have exactly the same problem. Inputting the drum notation with the mouse is really easy and every note falls on the right place.

But whenever I want to record the drum part playing with my keyboard, the notes and symbols are placed on the wrong lines of the stave.

I watch the video panhero provided, but it deals with Sibelius 5. The tutorial doesn't apply to Sibelius 7. How do I tell Sibelius 7 to place the drum notes correctly on the score when I play with my keyboard ? Does anyone have the same issue ? I browsed many sites but couldn't find any message about it.

Thanks to anyone who might help !
jamal.
P.S : Using Sibelius 7.1n OS X Mountain Lion 10.7.5. Midi Keyboards are KORG X5D and AKAI LPK25.

Jamal

Post by Jamal » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:49 am

I guess I found a solution which might work for those having the same issue !

I'm sorry, as I am a new Sibelius user, not to have understood straight away where to correct this.

I just opened a new score, clicked on the play menu, then on set up and finally modified the active devices.

All work just fine and the hi-hat is exactly where it should be on the stave ! With the right symbol !