Superscript letter - stumped

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
sooby77

Post by sooby77 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:04 pm

I am once again stumped at how to do this. I'm trying to create a superscript letter 'e' as in the image below. All I could do was create superscript numbers but not letters. I appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks.
Attachments
SibSuperscript.jpg
SibSuperscript.jpg (23.53 KiB) Viewed 11789 times

sooby77

Post by sooby77 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:46 pm

Can anyone help with this? I've noticed that someone else asked this question with no result as well. Thanks again for your expertise.

Rapshnel

Post by Rapshnel » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:23 pm

Hi sooby77,

Did you already solve the problem? I am dealing with it too; also with subscript letters...

Rapshnel
Semper dolens

sooby77

Post by sooby77 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:31 pm

I worked around it. I created the text as an image in Photoshop and then inserted it into the spot it needed to be in. Not ideal, but will have to do.

Rapshnel

Post by Rapshnel » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:42 pm

OK. I guess it's simply not possible then; too bad.

Thanks for your reply!
Semper dolens

liuscorne

Post by liuscorne » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:56 pm

I can think of one way that might work.
There is a number of OpenType Pro fonts (like Adobe Garamond Pro or Minion Pro) that has individually drawn glyphs for superscript letters, including the lower case "e". Normally (that is, in professional layout and typesetting programs like Adobe InDesign), these glyphs are activated via opentype settings which Sibelius does not offer. However, it is possible to access these glyphs from a glyph palette, e.g. via START - Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Glyph palette (or something simular, I'm not sure what it is called in English) on Windows computers. I havn't tested it though. It might be that Sibelius is not able to display glyphs that are not within the "usual" Unicode range.
BTW, Minion Pro comes with free programs like Acrobat Reader. There might be high quality free fonts (like Gentium or DejaVu) that offer this kind of supersript letters, but I'm not sure.

liuscorne

Post by liuscorne » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:16 pm

The font is not an ideal match (MT Bell), but the method described above works fine.
Attachments
test superscript_small.jpg
test superscript_small.jpg (11.86 KiB) Viewed 11437 times

Massimo

Post by Massimo » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:38 pm

sooby77 wrote:I am once again stumped at how to do this. I'm trying to create a superscript letter 'e' as in the image below. All I could do was create superscript numbers but not letters. I appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks.
Hello fellow Sibelius users,

I have been struggling with this issue myself and after many trial and errors I have found a way to do it inside Sibelius 6.

I tried to upload a Sibelius file with superscript text examples already done for you but the system here at the forum doesn't allow me to do so:-(

What you need to do in order to create this kind of texts is this:

- Select House Style>Edit Text Styles, then choose Plain text from the provided list and click New, a warning message will come on asking if you really want to create a new text style based on Plain text, answer Yes.

- Once the Staff Text Style dialog window appears on screen, under the General tab give a name to your new text style if you want to and then select the Vertical Position tab and set the Line spacing value to ca. 30% and click OK.

- Go back to your score, select where you want to add the new superscript text and then select Create>Text>Other Staff Text>Plain text (2) or the name you gave to your new text style.

At this point let's take as an example what you wanted to create which was IVe:

- Start by typing the "e" and then hit Enter on your computer keyboard to move to a second text line and type "IV". If you deselect the text you can clearly see that the two parts of the text style are colliding and don't look anything like what you want to create.

- Here is where some manual fiddling is required in order to make the overall text look good. First move the text caret at the end of the second line, just after the "IV" and then hit the Space bar key on your computer keyboard once or twice. At this point deselect the text and you can see that things start to look a bit better than before.

- Now highlight the letter "e" on the first line and open the Edit Text dialog window by selecting Window>Properties from the main Sibelius toolbar at the top of the screen. Once the "Edit Text" dialog window is open select the Text tab and reduce the size to something like 7.8 and you will see that now things are looking way better than before making this manual adjustment. If things still don't look as you want to, simply add more spaces after the "IV" part of the text, and/or change the text size of the upper part of the text "e" as just described, and/or adjust the "Line spacing" parameter in the Staff Text Style dialog window.

- This process allows you to create any superscript text situation you may encounter or need in your scores, I am aware that it is not the ideal way but at present Sibelius 6 doesn't allow superscript text and this is a compromise work around.

Be aware that if for example you need a superscript text for a Title or any other Sibelius text styles, you need to base your new text style on the one you want to use, in this case the default Sibelius Title text style, and then go through the same procedure described above.

Hope this helps and if you have anything you want me to clarify based on what I have wrote here, just post and I will do my best to help out further.

Best,

Max
Max Tofone

Author of the "Street Smart Guide to Sibelius 6"

sooby77

Post by sooby77 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:44 pm

Thanks Max! I will have to give that a try. I'm sure the others will appreciate you taking the time to write the detailed instructions.

Massimo

Post by Massimo » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:10 pm

sooby77 wrote:Thanks Max! I will have to give that a try. I'm sure the others will appreciate you taking the time to write the detailed instructions.
You are very welcome, let me know how you got on;-)
Max Tofone

Author of the "Street Smart Guide to Sibelius 6"