Different dynamics on repeats

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
flandria

Post by flandria » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:29 am

Hi, here is my question:

When you have a repeat and you wish to have different dynamics for each passage (say forte on first passage, pianissimo on second passage) is that possible to indicate on the score or do I have to abandon the repeat bars and simply write the score twice to accommodate the difference in performance? Hope my question is clear enough, if not I will gladly elaborate.

Many thanks.

Also, is it possible somewhere to submit a score for a constructive critique (ScoreExchange does not seem to fit that requirement).

Again, I appreciate any input!

Pianoman8382
Sibelius Version: 6
Operating System: Mac

Post by Pianoman8382 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:04 pm

I too am having this issue and am surprised this question has gone this long unsolved. I've tried marking it "mf-f", which I think is standard notation for this, although this does not affect the playback whatsoever. Does anyone have a solution to this?

Ian

bobp

Post by bobp » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:41 am

Check the manual for details, but you will use the "play on pass" function. At the beginning of the section, put your first dynamic. Select it and hit CTRL+SHIFT+I to invoke the Inspector. You'll want this dynamic on the first pass. Hide this dynamic. Next to it add the dynamic for the repeat. Have the Inspector play it for the repeat (second pass). Hide the second dynamic. You can add your mf-f which Sibelius will ignore.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop