time sig change trouble

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
jojo165

Post by jojo165 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:31 pm

Going "by the book" to try change time signature in middle of a movement. Every time I select the previous measure (per book) and select desired next-bar time sig, instead, a reiteration of present in-force time sig is entered for all staves of score. When I try again, sometimes the correct desired new time sig appears, but one bar too soon! What gives? This must be the most elemental procedure, but I will thank you for your help out of this probl.

bobp

Post by bobp » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:20 am

Try this: select the bar line where you want the signature to change(not the measure), right-click an open spot on the score, select Time Signature, select the one you want. Seems faster that what the book says. Right-click is your friend.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

jojo165

Post by jojo165 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:51 pm

Hi. Just did exactly as you advised. The same problem happened: the time signature appeared in the desired place--BUT it was a reiteration of the in-force time sig, not the changed time sig I want. (Passage is in 5/8 time, and it changes for just 2 measures to 3/4.) When I do what you advise, 5/8 appears in the place where I want/need 3/4 to appear.

It happens that the new meter is to take place just after a system break, but I don't see why that should make a difference.

I am totally spooked by this, and of course, I am grateful for your input.
:(

bobp

Post by bobp » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:33 pm

So, tell us about your computer and version of Sibelius. Have you restarted your computer recently? When I do the above, 5/8 appears and the rest of the score is re-written in 5/8. This works also if there is no music written yet in blank measures. Select the number of measures that will be 5/8( two in your case), right-click, select 5/8, those two measures should now be in 5/8 and the original signature will reappear after that.
Perhaps you could email me the sib file and I could take a look. I think there is an email button to the right of this post.
Bob Porter

jojo165

Post by jojo165 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:17 pm

I figured out on my own--by trial and error: What was needed: just a (normal left) click in the measure immed. preceding the changed time sig. When I did this, the desired change to 3/4 time appeared. When I sometimes get that nasty unwanted reiteration, I control-X (I've got Mac OS X.snowleopard) right on the redundant time sig and it goes away.

One last point, for any future trouble-shooters: in fact,select the bar line at the beginning of the bar in which the new time sig is desired, followed by the right-click (newer Mac with Intel has same right-click functionality as Windows computers) on the previous measure, followed by the additional click on that previous measure to cause the new time sig to appear.

I am grateful to Bob for follow-up and am sailing along with engraving of very long (21-minute quintet) assignment. I used MOTU Composer's Mozaic for 16 years before finally becoming persuaded to change to Sibelius, and I am very very glad I have switched. This Forum, with its many skilled users participating, is worth all the insecurity of these early weeks of Sibelius. Thanks a million!

bobp

Post by bobp » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:32 pm

Glad you figured it out. When you need help in the future, don't forget to state what OS and version of Sibelius you have.
Bob Porter

Shell

Post by Shell » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:15 pm

It happens that the new meter is to take place just after a system break, but I don't see why that should make a difference.