Why can´t I add a new barline?

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
Ludvig

Post by Ludvig » Sun May 25, 2014 5:29 pm

Good evening!

I just recently started as a drumteacher, and was in need of a notation software. I was told about Sibelius, so I bought it.

But as a now am sitting down with it, I´ve met some "issues" about things I just cant figure out how to do. I´ve tried to search the internet and YouTube tutorials, but is just not covered.

So here is my problem...

I´ve created a blank page, and added a instrument (Drum Set). I´ve created a beat in 4 Bars. I now want to create a new beat on a new line. But when I add a bar, it´s added bedhind the last bar in my drumbeat. I want that new bar to start on a new line. I cant figure this out!

Can anybody help me with this?

Your replys a very helpful. Thanks alot!

Ludvig

Post by Ludvig » Sun May 25, 2014 5:41 pm

And another thing:

I cant "do" anything. I select a note, but cant put in on the sheet. I press a note to delete it, nothing happens. It´s like it´s "frozen". What´s happened?

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by KJ_Palmer » Mon May 26, 2014 12:26 am

Ludvig wrote:Good evening!

So here is my problem...

I´ve created a blank page, and added a instrument (Drum Set). I´ve created a beat in 4 Bars. I now want to create a new beat on a new line. But when I add a bar, it´s added bedhind the last bar in my drumbeat. I want that new bar to start on a new line. I cant figure this out!
Select the bar after which you want the extra bar. Use the drop down list below the Add (Bar) icon. Add single bar.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Mon May 26, 2014 1:44 pm

That's not what you're asking for, I think.

Firstly, I'm going to tell you to please read through the Sibelius tutorials and do a bit of practice before you really start work with Sibelius.

Secondly, I'm going to tell you to let Sibelius do all the formatting while you input the notes. Only when you have input everything do you start thinking about layout and formatting.

Now, if you want to force Sibelius to make a line break, which is what I think you're asking, then just select the barline you want at the end of the line and hit 'big' Enter (ie not the one on the numeric keypad). Ctrl-Enter will force a page break. There are many other controls for formatting, such as making selected bars into a system, splitting systems, making format uniform etc. All explained in the Reference, which should be your next port of call.

Those of us still left on this forum will always be happy to help, but it is quiet on here and you'll find the answers you need faster via the Reference and tutorials. An hour spent with these will save you hours in the long term.