5/4 question in Sibelius 7.5

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
magicaldog

Post by magicaldog » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:07 pm

To fill one 5/4 bar with one note I have to use 1 Whole note plus a quarter note !

And when I am in 3/4 and put a whole note in I get the first bar filled with a whole note plus a quarter note in the next bar !

Am I missing something here or ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated !

Thank You
"You can't fake Jazz"
-Jeff Berlin

bobp

Post by bobp » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:16 pm

I don't know if there is a setting to make a whole note fill any size measure or not. I don't believe there is

I know this is used often in some printed music (I think mostly in show music where they take all kinds of shortcuts that aren't consistent with themselves, even). But it really isn't correct. Every time I see it, I want to count four beats and go on. Better to use standard notation and be clear. In my view, anyway.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:58 am

Not just a 'view', IMHO.

The first rule of writing down music is clarity. If someone can't understand what you've written, what's the point?

Sibelius knows the rules, so if you want a note to last a whole bar in 3/4, use the correct one.

'Lazy' shortcuts only serve to confuse most of us, even more so as there are no 'standards' for such shortcuts. It takes no longer to do things correctly in Sibelius, so why do anything different?

magicaldog

Post by magicaldog » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:43 pm

andyg wrote:Not just a 'view', IMHO.

The first rule of writing down music is clarity. If someone can't understand what you've written, what's the point?

Sibelius knows the rules, so if you want a note to last a whole bar in 3/4, use the correct one.

'Lazy' shortcuts only serve to confuse most of us, even more so as there are no 'standards' for such shortcuts. It takes no longer to do things correctly in Sibelius, so why do anything different?
Please enlighten me on where to find a note that only fill one bar of 3/4 or 7/8 !

If I chose a whole note in 3/4 Sibelius put a dotted half note in the first bar + a quarter note in the second bar !

I write a fair amount of odd meter music and if this i the case Sibelius is more or less useless to me !

What do you mean by Lazy shortcuts ?

I found my old Music Grammar Book where it says : All note values ​​are based on that we are playing in 4/4 :?
Last edited by magicaldog on Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You can't fake Jazz"
-Jeff Berlin

bobp

Post by bobp » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:31 pm

Do the math.
A dotted half note fills a 3/4 measure.
A whole note tied to an eight note fills a 7/8 bar.
Too much work? Is following notation rules so that there will be no question as to your intentions really useless?
Bob Porter

magicaldog

Post by magicaldog » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:49 pm

bobp wrote:Do the math.
A dotted half note fills a 3/4 measure.
A whole note tied to an eight note fills a 7/8 bar.
Too much work? Is following notation rules so that there will be no question as to your intentions really useless?
I found my old Music Grammar Book where it says : All note values ​​are based on that we are playing in 4/4 :?

So yeah it feels a bit dated but if that's the rules that is the way to do it !
"You can't fake Jazz"
-Jeff Berlin

bobp

Post by bobp » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:13 pm

It's been done that way for more than 400 years, so I guess it is a bit dated. Good luck to you, and have fun.
Bob Porter

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:33 am

I expect your old grammar book is referring to the nomenclature of the notes, not the way they're used! So 'whole note' fills a whole bar in 4/4, two half notes or four quarter notes do the same. And of course, that ties in directly with the lower number in the time signature.

Of course, being British, I don't have such things to worry about, I deal with crotchets and minims etc!

If you genuinely didn't know that the one note that fills a bar of 3/4 was a dotted minim (dotted half to you) then I suggest that you need to do a bit of basic theory before you go much further.

Lazy shortcuts? The kind of things done my music copyists in the days when things were all done by hand, that saved them time, even though notationally incorrect. Think about it, writing a semibreve instead of a dotted minim to fill that bar of 3/4 might have saved them less than 1/4 of a second. Do that a few hundred times and it sort of adds up. There are lots more like this that we don't need to do now when using software for notation. (But that doesn't stop people asking how to force the software into recreating lazy shortcuts!)