Change Staccato to mean "straight"

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
theslyprofessor

Post by theslyprofessor » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:55 am

Hey guys,
I am taking a jazz composition class, and in the course I am learning that staccato is used to denote straight playing. This is actually quite a handy abbreviation. If I could get Sibelius to recognize this notation in playback, my scores would look significantly neater considering the amount of text I now need to specify to otherwise indicate a small tempo adjustment (these changes occur quite frequently, mind you).

Unfortunately, I am unable to mess with the play dictionary in a way to alter the staccato articulation meaning. Under the possible SoundID's, none of them communicate "swung/straight."I have a feeling this is possible through the creation of a SoundID. I just don't know how to make one.

Thank you,
Nakul

bobp

Post by bobp » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:35 pm

That is a handy abbreviation. But if you could change the definition to straight, then you would lose the original meaning when you need it. What some people do is have two scores. One set up to get Sibelius to play what they want. The other is for rreal players. The second would look like what you want players to see.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

theslyprofessor

Post by theslyprofessor » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:25 pm

Thank you. That seems reasonable. However, I would not need the original "short" definition of staccato for this jazz score. According to my professor's textbook, the way to notate "short" in jazz, a "V" accent will suffice, which works already. Of course, I wouldn't want to change the definition of staccato for all of my scores, but isn't it possible to change SoundID's on a score by score basis? Hearing an accurate reproduction of my score while working is essential to my workflow.

bobp

Post by bobp » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:18 pm

Not being familiar with this book, is it a staccato dot or the word staccato that changes swing to straight. You can create some form of the word, make it case or abbreviate specific, and define it as straight. Read through the playback dictionary section of the manual for details.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop