Writing lyrics for chant

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
Praetorius

Post by Praetorius » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:04 pm

Hello all. I have a project where I need to write free-form recitation notes for psalms and prayers. I've found my way around pretty well with stemless notes and changing time signatures and hiding them, however placing the text is a major pain. I often need to write text in blocks, so that the verse is spread to multiple lines under one note. I just can't figure how Sibelius could align the text nicely under the correct note and continue from the the next when I hit space. One particular problem is that Sibelius doesn't seem to allow to leave blank lines in lyrics, so that I could continue the verse from second or third row.

Here's an picture of what I'm trying to do. I've dragged every line into the position by hand, but I'm not quite satisfied with the result and would prefer Sibelius to do it automatically.

Any help appreciated :-)
Attachments
malli_rivi.png
malli_rivi.png (32.95 KiB) Viewed 4149 times

bobp

Post by bobp » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:16 pm

You may have already found this, but just in case....

"use the special keypresses Ctrl+space or z-space and Ctrl+– (hyphen) or z–, which
produce non-breaking spaces and hyphens (i.e. without moving onto the next note). These keypresses
are also occasionally useful when creating other kinds of text, such as chord symbols.
Similarly, in Italian and some other languages, two elided syllables are often written on the same
note with an elision character in between, e.g. Ky – ri – e_e – lei – son. To achieve this, simply type
_ (underscore) while creating lyrics to get an elision character."
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop