Hi - new user with some questions

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
JohnCortland

Post by JohnCortland » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:54 pm

Hi all. Long time Cubase user. Just picked up Sibelius 7.5, and have a bunch of questions I was hoping someone could answer for me - or at least point me in the right direction.

First off, I wanted to say that I am not opposed to reading the manual. In fact, I have already found the answer to some things there. But there are some things that I am not even sure how to search for.

Delete confirmation dial box - for ex., when I import my .mid files, in the top right it says "Full Score" - when I select it and hit delete, I get a message saying "Deleting this text will remove it from the score...." I couldnt find anything in the prefs that allows you to disable this to prevent the dial box from popping up. Is there a way?

I see how to switch off the green playback line when not playing: View > Inv > Playback Line box. But every time I import a new .mid file/start a new project, that line is there - is there a way to tell Sib to never display that line when not playing?

I have a project where the tempo starts at 120 at bar 1, and then jumps to 127 at bar 3. No other tempo changes anywhere. When I import the .mid file, Sib displays 120 at bar 1, and at bar 3, displays 127.0003. Is there a way that Sib can see the 127 properly, or do I just have to change that manually?

I see where to add bar numbers, and when I add them, they are purple, and they are at the beginning of each bar, as opposed to where I would like them - in the middle. In prefs, I see the "Staff Names and Bar Numbers" section. Figuring I could change the bar # color and positioning here, I clicked "Set Custom View Options". When I do that, a dial pops up next to the box in green that says, "view options set". Ok, now what?

My violas are on two staves: treble clef and bass clef. This obviously, is incorrect. I know how to change the clef, but is there a way to combine the two staves? I am trying to use "Staves In Part", but seem to only be able to apply changes to that particular part I have open - not the entire score.

Any way for Sib to remember the last location I opened a MIDI file from? It keeps defaulting to Documents\Scores every time I open the program.

Thanks so much for the help!

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:59 pm

I'll let someone else answer your questions, but I'd point out that this is not the official Sibelius forum and there are only a couple of us answering questions.

Google a little and you'll find the official Sibelius chat page, which is very busy - you'll get advice and answers very fast!

bobp

Post by bobp » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:01 pm

Hey John,

Welcome,
First off, if your DAW will export as a music xml, you get better information than a mid. file.

What is the purpose of trying to delete the full score test box? Those words do not show up in a printed version of the score. It is a place where you could add the mane of the piece. It also lets you know you are in score and not part view.

Not sure about the playback line. I've never tried to turn it off. I'll check around.

You'll probably have to check tempos manually.

When something is purple in Sibelius, that means it is selected. Printout is black. I'll check to see if numbers can be placed at a different location in the bar.

Something in your mid. file told Sibelius to split the viola line. If you open this same file in Finale or musescore, you might get different results. You can use the Arrange function to combine the two lines. Also, when you imported this file, a popup asked you some questions about how it should be dealt with. Try un-ticking "Let Sibelius choose Instruments".

Sibelius will open a file from the last placed you saved it to. Not the last place you opened it from. From the File tab select Recent. This is a list of things you have worked on. This makes it very easy to find things.

Opening a mid. file in any notation software is a crap-shoot.

Good luck.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

JohnCortland

Post by JohnCortland » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:23 pm

Hi - thanks for the help!

What is the purpose of trying to delete the full score test box?

It's not so much that I need it gone, it was really more curiosity of how to get that dial box to stop from showing up.

Exporting .xml from Cubase > Sib = complete fail. Doesn't work right; not sure why.

As for the Violas - there is no "Let Sibelius choose Instruments" option in either tab. However - what you did was get me to look at that popup more closely. And I now see "Only one staff per track", and that does the trick. Not sure why I didn't see that before :/

If I need anything further, I will go sign up at the official forum. Thanks again!