Need help with notation

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
TheWebExpert

Post by TheWebExpert » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:30 pm

I'm new to Sibelius, and I'm trying to figure out how to reproduce the following section:

The notes on the Bass Staff are supposed to be played with the right hand; they're written on the Bass Staff for convenience, to avoid extra bar lines. I realize that the slur on the bottom half is upside-down; I didn't notice it until the photo was uploaded. (This was created in MS Paint, btw).

Can anyone tell me how to do this?

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:55 pm

That's a tie, not a slur. Or at least it should be. Don't get them mixed up, especially in Sibelius, where they're handled differently on playback.

I think you mean leger lines, rather than bar lines. In the extract you show, you only need to use one leger line below Middle C, and any pianist will be able to read that. Think carefully if you really need to put these notes on the bass staff. If you do, then look up 'cross staff beaming' in the reference manual and all will be revealed.

TheWebExpert

Post by TheWebExpert » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:12 pm

Thank you for your reply. I searched out Cross-Beaming, and found a post which told me to use CTRL - SHIFT - UP (or down) to move the notes; once I had the notes on the proper staff, I flipped the ties properly, and then moved the staff head up to where it belongs. Here is the result:

I can't help it; this is the way the piece was written, and I'm duplicating it EXACTLY. Yes, I know I could have "faked it," but I'm a stickler for keeping to the original.

Thanks again! :)

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:35 pm

Glad to have helped, that looks just fine!