Need help with double stem

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
TheWebExpert

Post by TheWebExpert » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:07 pm

This piece is written in 2/2 time.

Ordinarily, to add a second stem, I'd use one of the alternate voices. I generally use Voice #1 for the primary notes, and Voice #3 for the secondary notes (these Voices line up properly). However, with this one, I can't seem to make it work; the problem, as I see it, is that the stem is in the MIDDLE of the triplet, rather than on the first note. I know it won't make any difference to how Sibelius PLAYS the piece, but I'm a stickler for accuracy in reproducing the score as written. Can anyone help me get this right? Thanks!

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:41 pm

What's 'missing is the quaver rest before the lower voice crotchet. So enter the notes in the upper part in Voice 1, then switch to Voice 2 or 3. Enter a quaver (the exact note doesn't matter) under the first of your triplet quavers, CMD-3 to get triplets and then enter the next note, also as a triplet quaver. Press Esc, then select the first lower voice triplet quaver and press 0 on the keypad to make it a rest, then hide it. Select the next triplet quaver and hit 4 on the keypad to make it a triplet crotchet (which will of course get rid of the quaver rest that was there. Then hide the triplet 3 as required.

In your second group of notes, put the Voice 2/3 triplet quaver under the first note in Voice 1, again make it into to crotchet and then hide the final triplet quaver rest.

If you've got a lot of these to do, then just do one, copy it and change the pitches, leaving everything else alone.

TheWebExpert

Post by TheWebExpert » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:19 pm

Perfect! I just couldn't figure it out! It never occurred to me that the note had to be part of a triplet itself, since it's drawn as a quarter note, but the hidden rest puts the note exactly where it's drawn. Thanks!