Sibelius Sounds?

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
nmoss
Sibelius Version: 7.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by nmoss » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:53 pm

Hi! I am new to Sibelius and I started working on a composition for a full orchestra. My question is really basic, but I would really appreciate the help as soon as possible!

I downloaded the Sibelius Sounds package, but now what? How do I make my instruments in my score have the qualities of these sounds instead of the basic MIDI sounds they already had? I know it must be a few easy steps in the score, but I can't figure it out. Thanks!

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:59 pm

First, make sure you've actually installed all the sounds, that's over 36GB of them. Then install any required updates and patches.

Then set up a playback configuration that uses them. Play>Configuration, then open the Setup screen.If you've installed things correctly, there should be a Sibelius 7 Sounds option. If not, create a new configuration that uses Sibelius 7 sounds and uses the Sibelius Player to play them.

But perhaps first you should ensure that your system is up to the job. Full Orchestra? Sounds like you might need a fast CPU, SSD drive and 8GB of RAM. An ASIO capable soundcard might come in handy as well if you're planning on playing anything into Sibelius from a Keyboard.