Score conversion

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
happyskier
Sibelius Version: 7
Operating System: Windows

Post by happyskier » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:15 am

Can you tell me the easiest way to turn a SATB vocal score (in C major) into a score for SATB saxophones please?

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5

Post by KJ_Palmer » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:13 am

Select each part in turn, by triple clicking any bar in each part, which should turn all notes and bars of that part light blue.
Then from the Home menu click Change, and you can choose the required saxophone from the Woodwind Instruments list.
The original part name on the left should change accordingly. If you get a lot of red (out of range) notes you may need to transpose or choose a different instrument.

Change each voice separately before doing the next. I think that's the easiest way.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11

happyskier

Post by happyskier » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:13 am

Thank you so much KJ Palmer, I appreciate your taking the time to help me.
I could've spend a lot of time going about it the wrong way, so I'm going to apply your advice now!
Thanks Again,
Sue

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:56 pm

Nice to see someone else helping out with advice, KJ! I think that makes three of us. :D

KJ_Palmer

Post by KJ_Palmer » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:10 pm

You're both welcome, glad to be able to help!

I'm certainly not the most technically advanced or skilful user but I'll chip in when I can.

happyskier

Post by happyskier » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:38 pm

Thanks very much again for your help - it worked perfectly!
Spent a lot of time yesterday with it, after pulling into Photoscore, realised the piece was written without a time signature.
When I then opened it in Sibelius, although it didn't place a time signature, it had put bar lines in and altered the note values, assuming the piece was supposed to be in 4/4. To outwit the software I went back into Photoscore, counted the values for each bar, and placed unusual time sigs all over the place. It did the trick though, apart from moving a couple of parts up a couple of leger lines, which were quick to resolve, it was good. I'm so pleased as the saxophone group that has sprung into life through our community orchestra will have a few interesting things to get into!

Have a good Easter,

Sue :-)

KJ_Palmer

Post by KJ_Palmer » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:01 pm

That's great. Hadn't realised you were coming in from Photoscore.

The general rule is do everything you can in Photoscore before hitting the Send to Sibelius button. This would include correcting key/time signatures, missing or wrong notes and barlines, accidentals, staves/system groupings, etc etc. Basically turn the bad timing navigator green if possible. This something Sibelius doesn't really have and can be very useful in some situations.

Also you could have changed the instruments to the saxophones are they're included in the Photoscore Instruments, so no need to go through the Sibelius instruments. Still, all useful to know, and there's more than one way to arrange a score :)

Happy Easter!