Sibelius 8

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
jaz
Sibelius Version: 7.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by jaz » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:04 pm

I have just upgraded from 7 to 7.5 but along the way I saw a reference to being able to automatically upgrade online to Sibelius 8. Not sure where the reference was but would appreciate some guidance to do this please.

I am a beginner - Sibelius 7 sat in its box for years because I lacked the time to do anything with it. I haven't read the manual though I have referred to it for specific issues. I am hoping for assistance from forum users for things which are not obvious to me from the manual.

My focus is barbershop arrangement and I've been learning both the music theory and navigating Sibelius by just getting in and having a go.

Jaz

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:53 am

I wouldn't bother - unless you're desperate for the ability to work with Surfaces. There's absolutely nothing in 8 that enhances its notational or playback abilities - and there are bugs to be sorted out.

If you check on the official Sibelius chat pages, you'll find much discussion about this. Remember that this site is unofficial, unmonitored and only two or three people answer queries.

bobp

Post by bobp » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:45 am

You have until July 2016 to decide to upgrade for the $89 price. Maybe by then some useful stuff will be added.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:28 am

Quite true - maybe by then they'll have added something that's more useful to me (and perhaps to most of us). And I think you'll find that once you pay that $89 to uprade, you're more or less committed to paying the upgrade/renewal charge each year after that. If you fall off that renewal scheme, then you could be looking at buying Sibelius again at its full price.

More details and much discussion over on the official chat page.

Bottom line: Look very carefully at what Sib 8 offers in the way of a useful upgrade over the next 11 months or so, then make up your mind. For me, even upgrading to 7.5 isn't worth it. In fact, if I didn't have to be compatible with my students, some of whom have Sib 7, I'd still be on Sib 6.2.