Some Drum Notes Don't Sound

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
ashleylm
Sibelius Version: 7
Operating System: Windows

Post by ashleylm » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:38 pm

Hi,

Am using drums for the first time. The kit is Drum (Pop). My round-headed notes sound fine (between F & F) but my x-headed notes aren't sounding. So I used the Add Drum Pattern plug-in in case it was my fault, and the same thing happens: round-heads good, high-hats are silent. This happens regardless of whether I'm clicking on the note, or playing back the piece.

I exported to midi to check it out in an event editor, and the x-headed notes don't even get exported. It's like Sibelius thinks they aren't there.

I added a new drum track, Drum (Disco) in case x-headed notes don't play in Drum (Pop), but the same problem occurs.

One last clue: if I edit the mappings in the Edit Instruments so that a closed high hat is associated with a round-headed note, voila, it plays. So I can "fix" the problem by editing all the notes to have round-heads in a different position that works with the new mapping, but of course I shouldn't have to do this.

How can I tell Sibelius I'd like to hear all my drum notes please?

Thanks so much,

Ash

bobp

Post by bobp » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:09 pm

I hope you are putting x-head hi hat notes on the space above the staff. Anywhere else, and they don't sound. For playback I usually put hi hats on a separate staff so I can make them louder. Same with kick drum. I'm not sure there is a hi hat sound in all kits. Try the rock kit.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

ashleylm
Sibelius Version: 7
Operating System: Windows

Post by ashleylm » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:48 am

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I can literally import some midi drums into Sibelius, they play just fine, and then when I add them to my score only the round-headed notes play. Very frustrating! I suppose I can lay out all the drum tracks first and then build the song up from there, but that's sort of the opposite of my usual practice.

bobp

Post by bobp » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:42 pm

Well, everyone works differently, of course. I write drum parts as I go along. No plugins, no imported sounds. I write a rhythm I like and use repeat or copy and paste to fill in the part. I think the drum sounds in Sibelius are pretty good. It takes a bit of work to learn how to use them.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop