Selecting individual lyric lines from multiple lines

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
davidgriff
Sibelius Version: 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by davidgriff » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:00 am

First, apologies if the question is somewhat basic; I'm a total (77 year old) amateur still feeling my way.

Selecting "Lyrics" from the filter selects all the lyric lines as a single block, even with multiple verses one above the other. Is there any way I can select individual lines for deletion/alteration? If I want to play a midi karaoke from the song, I have to select every word or part word in turn, and use the inspector to not play on particular passes.

I use Photoscore Ultimate to provide the scanned music to Sibelius.

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5

Post by KJ_Palmer » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:28 am

Hi, it's not a basic question at all. Although Sibelius can handle multiple lyric lines (verses) quite well, Photoscore only allows the one, so the transfer to Sibelius merges them all into Lyric Line 1, despite the appearence in the score.

There's no easy way round this, but luckily, someone has written a 'plugin' routine that attempts to split the merged multiple lines in Sibelius into verses. You'll have to become familiar with using and installing plugins. More detail in the Sibelius reference guide, but basically:
- go online to the Sibelius plugin page (http: // www.) sibelius.com/download/plugins
- in Text category locate, download and install Add Verse Styles For Lyrics
(note the caveats for this entry - ie. check results after running, up to 5 verses allowed etc.)
- when installed/restarted run the plugin for your score

Hopefully you now should have different lyrics lines for each verse (up to 5 anyway).
You can use Advanced filter > Text (make sure only Text is ticked) > Lyric Line 1 (2/3 etc) and Select to filter each line.

Hope that helps.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11

davidgriff
Sibelius Version: 7.5

Post by davidgriff » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:18 am

Thanks for the explanation why the lyric line problem arose.

I have downloaded and installed the plugin, but so far haven't succeeded in isolating the lines. The plugin seems to squash all the lines into one (unreadable) line. I'll keep plugin (groan!) away at the problem; it's only an issue for scanned multi-verse songs.

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5

Post by KJ_Palmer » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:33 am

Try using Optimise on those squashed lines, or the whole score possibly also with Unlock format. It will probably still not be perfect and you may have to move thigs around and assign different Lyric lines to the result, but should go some way to sorting things out.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11