how to change the width of a measure

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
Hicks
Sibelius Version: 8
Operating System: Mac

Post by Hicks » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:54 pm

Hi all,

that's my first day with Sibelius.
Seems wonderful, but after 4 bars I am already stuck !

Here is what I try to do :

on Bar 4, I want to write a decrescendo from mp to ppp. However the bar is not big enough to let my hairpin finish after the F.
I tried to click on the bar line at the end of the measure, hold the click and drag it but the measure is getting bigger but the notes are note moving proportionnaly. So even if my Ab and F have the same duration, the F is no more centered.

I have attached two screens in order to show you.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by KJ_Palmer » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:43 pm

Hi, you can simply drag that F over to the right, or use the Inspector (Ctrl + Shift + I) to increase the X offset.

But you probably would be better off going back to the original bar width and dragging the F over to the right to change the bar width before adding your hairpin etc.

Sibelius won't automatically 'justify' note spacing if you change from the default setting.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11

Hicks
Sibelius Version: 8
Operating System: Mac

Post by Hicks » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:10 pm

Thanks !

Finally I solved it by reducing the police of the text (from 12 to 8). However the default size is 12 and I can't find where to change this default value. Because now, I have to change the size manually and it is not very optimized :)

Thanks a lot

bobp

Post by bobp » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:29 am

Or try the ppp on the b in the next measure. I've had that work.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:57 am

I can't see your images for some reason, but while you're tackling this issue, why not look in the Reference to discover the correct way of stretching a bar? (Don't drag the barline!) You may find that this sorts your problem.

I could just tell you but the teacher in me is telling me to get you looking in the Reference, as that's the way you'll really learn it. And as this is your first day with Sibelius I'd also suggest looking at many of the on-line videos and blogs that will help you. I teach people the basics of Sibelius in about an hour of one to one tuition, and if you can find someone near you to do this, it's money well spent, in view of the time it will save you.

And just so you know, this is not the official Sibelius forum. At the last count, the only regular responders are KJ, Bob and me. If you want the official forum, here it is: http://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpcen ... ?groupid=3

PS. I just had a thought. Why not simply change the length of the hairpin?