image not recognised -sounds file won't open

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
Skipoffwork
Sibelius Version: 8.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by Skipoffwork » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:51 pm

Hoping someone can help. I've recently downloaded sibelius first 8.5 onto my macbook. there were 4 files, three of which I've successfully opened and I've been playing about with some scores. The fourth, and extremely large (6.8Gb) sounds file I cannot open though, I can only get the message "image not recognised".
Perhaps it didn't download properly, but I don't want to just try again as I have a slow internet connection and I had to spend several hours at a friends to download it in the first place. I have searched the forum but can't find anything helpful. I've also raised a query with official support but I have to say I'm not holding out much hope of any reply from there, judging by what can only be a deliberately unhelpful and obfuscatory avid website. Any ideas?

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by KJ_Palmer » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:57 am

The full sounds file download is really huge, something like 40GB or 24GB compressed. It's nearly a whole day & night uninterrupted download for most people. So 6.8 GB seems partial at best and possibly corrupt. You may have to try to download again or get hold of the disks.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:24 pm

Does sound like a corrupt or partial download.

Pretty sure this has been discussed a few times on the official Sibelius chat pages, so look or ask there as well. http://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpcen ... ?groupid=3

That site is monitored by a couple of helfpul Avid personnel, but the guys on the site will get you an answer faster!

Skipoffwork
Sibelius Version: 8.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by Skipoffwork » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:01 pm

Update : yes, it must have been a corrupt download - the official sibelius reply was basically, - download it again.
This time I managed to borrow a friends fibreoptic internet connection, which took about 15 minutes and it worked.

The daft thing is, I thought I was buying a CD with the software on, because having a very slow internet connection at home I didn't want to download what I knew was going to be a hefty chunk of software - but when it arrived, by courier delivery, in a cardboard box, it just turned out to be.... a download code to use. This is a truly bonkers business model...
Anyway, thanks for your advice above, I'm still wading through the tutorials now.