Need help with DC al Signo

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
TheWebExpert

Post by TheWebExpert » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:31 am

I have a piece I've already put into Sibelius; when it was imported (from a .MID file), it contained the intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus & ending.

Since I don't want to (or need to) actually repeat the music for the verse & chorus, I thought the proper method would be to use a DS al Signo; the DS begins at the verse, ends at the chorus, and then the Coda is at the start of the ending section. Well, it doesn't work. When I play it, it plays from the beginning to the DS - and then repeats THAT section, before playing the rest up to the To Coda, then jumping to the actual Coda. The last part is right (it's not on the correct bar measure, but I can fix that later). The problem is, it should play the intro, then play the verse & chorus 2x. What have I done wrong??

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by KJ_Palmer » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:37 pm

Not sure I'm quite following, but a D.S. would normally jump back to a Segno symbol (that you'd have to insert) at the bar from which it repeats. If you don't have the Segno symbol inserted the default seems to be repeat from the beginning, ie. the Intro, like a D.C. instruction.

Seems you might be overcomplicating things. If you want the flow to be Intro - Verse - Chorus - Verse - Chorus - Ending, then couldn't you just use the Start and End repeat barlines around the Verse - Chorus music?

Something like: Intro | : Verse - Chorus : | Coda
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11

TheWebExpert

Post by TheWebExpert » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:12 pm

Not really; the first time through the chorus, there's a "transition" piece that needs to be played before going back to the verse. On the second time through, it should go directly to the ending. I probably have the sign in the wrong place.

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by KJ_Palmer » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:49 am

In that case you may need to add a To Coda instruction and a Coda symbol in the appropriate places. If that doesn't work you could try overriding the automatic playback order by using manual repeats (under Play > Repeats).
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11