Reduction of choral score to piano score

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
nicho39
Sibelius Version: 8.5.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by nicho39 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:45 am

I am very new to Sibelius and am having problems reducing a choral score (SATB) on 4 staves, to a piano score on 2 staves. If I copy the whole choral score and attempt to paste it to a new 2 stave score, I only seem to get the S and A parts on the the treble clef stave and even then with the A part up the octave. I've tried copying the bass and tenor parts only, to the bass stave but only one part appears regardless of what I've copied. I suspect my problem is in setting up the arrangement but I've tried a variety of options with no success. Can anyone help?

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5

Post by KJ_Palmer » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:41 am

You should get better results if you use Arrange from the Note Input menu. It's explained in section 3.16 of the manual (for Sib 7.5), including how to do a piano reduction from several staves. Not sure but even then you might want to transpose your score so that it all fits in a reasonable range for the piano.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11

nicho39
Sibelius Version: 8.5.1

Post by nicho39 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:29 am

Been there, done that. I think I'm not selecting the arrangement option properly. I believe I've followed the instructions from the manual. Range is no problem

bobp

Post by bobp » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:17 pm

Select your entire choral score. Ctrl+c.
Create a new piano score. Select the first full measure.
From the Note Input tab, select the diagonal down arrow in the Arrange section. Select Reduction. Close
Select the down arrow box below Arrange. Choose Arrange using Reduction.
Choose Yes to the popup.
There are some plugins to help clean up the result, but for the most part you may have to clean up things yourself.
For example, if you don't want lyrics in the reduction, you'll need to delete them first. There will also be many duplicate notes.
If there are key changes or meter changes, you'll need to create them in the piano part first.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop