Sibelius 3 - no sound on playback

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
beachutter
Sibelius Version: 3
Operating System: Mac

Post by beachutter » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:35 pm

Hi. Its a while since I used this software and having set up my studio I am not getting any sound on playback. Neither do the notes sound on creation on the score. Also, how do I create a new page for the score - it is stuck at page 2 ( The page layout is rock band). I am using the M-Audio (Profire) interface from my Clavinova keyboard. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:55 pm

What OS are you using. Sib 3 is so old that it may not work properly on later operating systems.

You don't create new pages as such, Just keep adding bars and Sib will add the pages and flow the music as required.

beachutter

Post by beachutter » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:59 pm

Hi. Thks for reply. I have a Mac OS 10.8. For a while today I could play notes on the keyboard and they would appear on the stave, but not sound when I clicked on them with the mouse, or tried to playback.
I tried adding bars manually, but all it did was foreshorten the existing bars, and not go to a new page. Maybe I didn't add enough?!

beachutter

Post by beachutter » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:23 pm

I tried again this evening. Shortly after opening the arrangement I got this msg ' A Midi playback device can't be used. You could click Devices in the Play menu and set only one device to be used, or if you've changed the Midi devices installed in your computer, click to find new devices'. In the devices menu it lists M-Audio Profire which I have selected. I then get a warning msg saying ' Ist AUGraphNewNode failed'.
I then tried again..checked that M-Audio is selected in devices and selected General Midi as the Sound set.
I then get a msg ' May not play correctly. Do you want to reset the sound. You can change later if desired'. I've left it at General Midi, but still no sound on payback. I'm a bit baffled!
The equipment has worked OK in the past, but I didn't write down the settings I used unfortunately.

bobp

Post by bobp » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:26 am

As I understand it. There either isn't midi on a mac, or Sibelius can't use it.

Are you sure you installed Sibelius sounds (they are installed separately from the the rest of the program) and did so to their default location.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:29 am

Add music to the bars and they'll start to widen and Sib will start to flow the bars and systems accordingly. Keep inputting the music until you've finished. Don't worry about layout until everything else is done.