Is it possible to avoid the change of channel in the mixer ?

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
TAOTECHING
Sibelius Version: 7.1.1
Operating System: Mac

Post by TAOTECHING » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:30 pm

After copying new notes in several instruments of my composition, I have observed that the Midi channel of the bassoon which is 11 in the interface of Kontakt 5, and which coincided with the same number of the channel of the bassoon in the mixer, was unexpectedly changed NOT by myself, but by Sibelius 7 to 31 or some other times (when I did another proofs) to 28 or 38, etc., it is said to a different number from 11 which is the Midi channel of the bassoon in the interface of Kontakt 5, and therefore, the effects of sound improvements of bassoon created by Midi controllers in Kontakt 5 such as volume, accent, passion are completely lost.
I do know that the configuration of the channels in the mixer, are only decided and chosen by Sibelius 7 and not by oneself, but I wonder if there is any possibility to avoid that such a change of the number in the mixer can happen, so that it could be possible to maintain that coincidence of the channel number in the mixer with the same number in the interface of Kontakt 5, in order to maintain the desired good effects of volume, accent, expression, passion, etc.
And this change of the channel number in the mixer, happens just for the fact of having copied many new notes in many other instruments which already existed.
I am using Sibelius 7.1.1 on MAC OS X - 10.7.5 and the library Personal Orchestra for Sibelius Sounds Essentials of Garritan, in the concrete case of the bassoon.
Thank you very much for your attention.

bobp

Post by bobp » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:03 pm

There is a section in the manual about manual sound sets and channel selection. It seems that, as you have found out, Sibelius controls channels.

Some thoughts come to mind.

While Sib. has some midi control capabilities, midi is not the best way to control things. If you are used to a DAW or other midi based software, Sib. does not work the same way. Sibelius is primarily notation engraving software. It is designed to read normal markings for tempo, dynamics, and articulation that you would see in a score. Playback is secondary, and midi control even further down the line.

That said, it is possible to get some pretty decent playback. Just not the way you may may have done it with other software.

Each of us has our own ideas on just what good playback is. Personally, I prefer the sounds that come with sib. 7. You may have been put off by the fact that they are a very big download. That's because there are lots of instruments with lots of articulations. You might have downloaded the sounds, loaded a score, and not been impressed with the result. The problem is that sib. loads default sounds just to give you an idea of what your score sounds like. They are middle of the road and kind of dull. For better playback the sounds can be changed and/or adjusted to you taste. I view that as a a good thing and not a pain like some folks.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop