Correct piano MIDI import from DAW (Sonar CW)

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
francoteves
Sibelius Version: 2018.1 1449
Operating System: Windows

Post by francoteves » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:36 pm

Greetings friends.

I am trying to import a piano MIDI clip created in Sonar Cakewalk but all notes are imported into one single staff (I need to separate them in a grand staff and don't know how to). Sonar can actually export MusicXML but the values get messed up as it corrects all of them to 1/32. Any ideas?

Thank you.

bobp

Post by bobp » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:56 pm

This is the biggest problem with the workflow of starting in a DAW then moving to notation. You might have better luck starting with Sonar's notation. If you make a PDF of that output you can use PhotoScore to try and correct it. But if you don't have good notation skills, all that will be difficult. If you know notation at all, I think it is easier to start in notation, then move to a DAW to tweak a recording.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

cowboybob
Sibelius Version: 8.7.2
Operating System: Mac

Post by cowboybob » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:41 pm

Are both parts in the same voice when you import from Sonar? If not, copy which ever voice you want on the left hand (typically voice 2 but not always) and paste that to the bass clef.

If it comes in as one voice, you can simply copy the lower register notes to the bass clef. Transpose either method as necessary.