extract multiple instruments from mp3 to sibelius

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
inkivan
Sibelius Version: 7.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by inkivan » Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:08 am

How to extract multiple instruments from recorded mp3 to sibelius - does sibelius have such option in some version ?

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:29 am

In short - no.
The best way is to do it yourself by ear. It's really great for getting your aural skills honed.
The next best way is to pay someone to do it for you. It shouldn't be that expensive for a 3-instrument piece.
Don't believe the hype for programs like audioscore. They can generally only handle monophonic music. This technology is very much still in the toddler stage.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2024.3.1, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 4, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:23 pm

Yes, audio to notation (or MIDI) is still pretty much a myth. Well played monophonic lines, OK. Anything complex, any app or programme will either struggle or often just fail!

Choose one instrument in the track and try to concentrate on it. If you load the track into something like Audacity, you can create a short loop that will play over and over, so you can write in down (on paper!) and check as you go. Work your way though a bit at a time.

Then ignore that instrument and concentrate on another, repeat the process until you've got everything.

It's not easy and will take some practice, but what a skill to have. Worth the effort! :) I only do this for my own students and myself, but if I were to do it commercially you'd be looking at $65/£50 an hour minimum.

inkivan
Sibelius Version: 7.1

Post by inkivan » Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:36 am

Hello, thank's a lot for your answer. Anyhow,  I will keep researching in that way. I'm still thinking of that as an interesting question.
Best regards !