notes all crammed together...

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
zicktom

Post by zicktom » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:06 pm

If I'm writing a score and I find somehow my notes are all crammed together in a measure with no space between them, my impulse is to widen up the measure and give them room, make the notes look more comfortably spaced out. But how do I do that?

Thanks for any help!

Tom

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:17 am

Firstly, this is a common problem, especially for those who tend to use layouts with 4 bars per line. Whatever you do, do NOT, under any circumstances, drag barlines around. That is opening up a world of hurt for yourself later on. Try these methods instead:
1. Reduce the size of the staff slightly (either for the individual system - select the staff and use the inspector ) or for the whole of the score (edit instrument)
2. Use [ctrl/cmd][shift]u (unlock selection) followed by [ctrl/cmd][shift]n (reset note spacing)
3. Make your page margins smaller.
4. Any combination of the above.

Sibelius is extremely good at spacing the notes out if you let it do it's job. If notes get too crowded, I can guarantee it's your fault for trying to put too many bars on a line.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2024.3.1, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 4, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk