Add bars to top of existing score

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
SebBud123
Sibelius Version: 2019
Operating System: Mac

Post by SebBud123 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:30 pm

Cannot follow instructions to add ( ie 8) bars to top of score , I read on youtube instructions to hit “create/ B / then choose end or home. First: cannot find Create . Is that the same as Command or Control ? ( Mac)
My Add bars dialog has only Add bar at end, or Add single bar . Seems simple….???
Seb: build 1985, version 2023

Another thing : i had to change pw, successful, but received something ridiculously wrong .
How to change, w/o getting another long one ?
Thx for any answers

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:03 pm

Don't rely on Youtube!

Read the Reference manual (F1 should open that) and search for 'add bars'.

Highlight the first bar and right click or use the keyboard shortcuts. You should have 3 options. At end (Cmd+B), Single (Cmd+Shift+B) and Other (Option+B). Other will allow you to specify the number of bars.

That's how it's done in Sibelius 7, but I doubt if it's changed on the latest version.

Make sure that if you have Sibelius Ultimate, that you have activated it and not one of the lower tiers, Artist or First.

If you only have Sibelius First, it's so stripped down as to be almost useless. Musescore 4 is free and blows it out of the water!

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:42 am

Andy is correct. [Ctrl]b or [cmd]b will add a bar at the end of the score.
[Ctrl][shift]b or [cmd][shift]b will add a bar after the current selection. If nothing is selected, it will load the cursor and you can add a new bar where you click.

If this function doesn't work for you, then you have one of the (almost useless) lower tiers.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2024.3.1, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 4, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

SebBud123
Sibelius Version: 2019
Operating System: Mac

Post by SebBud123 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:45 pm

Hey, thanks to both. Yea, I'm stuck with a lower tier, ie Artist.
I have a 2011 macbookpro, and needed to transfer from a previous cludgy comp, and a helpful Avid guy, , thru about 5 online consults, gave me my current version, the highest it would go with OS. 10.13.6. High Sierra, and that's the highest the comp will go. Seb: Build 1985, Version 2023 . It works , mostly, and they seem to have given me a "lifetime" activation. , maybe hoping I'll upgrade sometime, comp and version.
I still cannot figure out if it's Version 7 or not. No indication on the "About Sebilious". box .
Could be a good idea to get Ultimate....., as there's things I'm discovering just aren't there. ie, an engraving function to make chord symbols bigger.
I cannot find any engraving function.

Yea, I tried Musescore. It works, and seems very similar to Sebilious, but I'm just not ready to learn a new program.. even if very similar.
I found a way to add additional bars at top. As descrived above. tho it does make title and other text inserts jump around.
Also solved the change of password issue.
Still learning things from Utube, tho sometimes "wrong", ie, I think referring to a differernt version of Seb.
It would sure help if helpful tips on any forum would indicate software version being talked about. Or even a date.

Enough "complaining". Back to writing music, what it's all about.
thx again for responding/