Fermata length

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
John Philpit

Post by John Philpit » Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:47 pm

Is there any way in Sibelius 3 to change the length for which a fermata is held? I see that there are 3 lengths of fermatas in the keypad control, but if I want a hold of a note even longer, let's say about 3 beats, is there a way to control that? I looked in the Properties window and didn't see an affordance for such a setting. And the usually very complete Users' Manual gives no hint.

Thanks,
John

PS, Is the English plural "fermatas" or "fermate"? A quick look at m-w.com doesn't provide a plural form.

Giuliano

Post by Giuliano » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:39 am

Unfortunately I have no answer, but only one more question:
Sibelius 3 seemingly does not retains fermatas when exporting into midi (I think this might be done through tempo markings, perhaps by a plug-in). Notes are just saved in their standard (written) length, which is annoying especially in Chorales.

PS - strangely enough, 'fermata' is an Italian word, but it is not (no more, at least) used in Italian - we say 'corona' or 'punto coronato' (lit. 'crown' or 'crowned point'). As far as I know, English-speaking people use 'fermatas' as a plural.

thecheeseling

Post by thecheeseling » Wed May 28, 2014 6:20 pm

In order to change the Fermata lenth:

right click on the note that has the Fermata and click on inspector check the Fermata box and change the duration.

That's it!

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Wed May 28, 2014 6:50 pm

Thanks for the answer, but did you note that the thread is 8 years old? :)