Joining notes

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
BifferMcFistyKnuckle

Post by BifferMcFistyKnuckle » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:27 pm

Hi,

I've watched the tutorial videos but found nothing helpful.

I'm using this program for the very first time and needless to say i'm encoutering difficulties from the word go. I don't find Sibelius to be very intuitive * at all * as of now but i hope my luck'll change with a bit of guidance.

For my first experience with Sibelius, i'm trying to transcribe Paul Desmond's "Take Five" for tenor sax, at least that's what i wish...

I'm getting quite frustrated with the "liberties" the software takes in joining some notes while not joining others. I know this is a case of me not understanding the functions. I haven't yet understood the criteria that are used in defining which notes are joint and which are not, which is quite annoying since it's impossible to get what i want on the sheet.

How do i tell him when notes are to be joint or not ?

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:40 pm

BifferMcFistyKnuckle wrote:How do i tell him when notes are to be joint or not ?
There are two ways:

1) When you first insert the Time Signature, use the "Beam and Rest Groups" button to show Sibelius how you want notes grouped.

2) If you want to change grouping of quavers (eighths) and semiquavers (sixteenths), select the note and use the third Keypad layout (shortcut F10). Hover your mouse over each panel and you will see what each one does - Start Beam begins a new ligature, Middle of Beam joins the selected note to the previous one etc.