System text

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
Peter123

Post by Peter123 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:57 pm

Hi,

I'm still using Sib3: it's great!

I have a large Puccini score here and want to add some cautionary fermatas, since I know what the singer is going to do and don't want to lose to much time explaining the orchestra.

How to do this? I need it in system text, of course, otherwise it would be far to much work. The only option I see is text => Other system text => Rit./acc. I use that also for general text I want to be printed in each part (maybe there is an easier way for this, too?).

I don't see any possibility, however, to insert the fermata sign into this type of text. Any suggestions?

What I really want is the fermata sigh between [ ].

Thanks!

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:36 pm

Use system text (Ctrl-Alt-T) to type (U). Press Esc. Now select the text again, but carefully select just the U. In the Text pane of the Properties Window, use the second drop-down list to select Opus type. You can change the size at the same time. If you select just the brackets you can change their size separately.

This is easier to do than to describe. And once you've done one you can Alt-Click to copy it to other places.

Peter123

Post by Peter123 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:59 pm

Thanks, that's the trick I was looking for!

One little note: it's impossible to change the font size of the fermata itself, but the one I got from Opus works fine.

I have another question: I make an 1st violin part wityh the solo singer part included, in a small stave above it. Now the all the tempo markings, rehearsal marks and rit./acc appear twice, since it is system text. I don't need them in the small part, because it's very confusing.

If I delete or hide them, they also disappear in the violin part... hmmm....

Another strange thing just occurred: when I right-clicked outside a bar to get the create-menu, there was an 'OK tick' (V) left to the word bar...

Strange..................

dspreadbury

Post by dspreadbury » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:06 am

To choose which staves system objects appear on, use House Style > System Object Positions.

Peter123

Post by Peter123 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:20 am

Great, I didn't know that, thanks!

Problem: they wont let themselves be removed from the top staff, for some reason.

In the box appear the following options:

soloist
violino I
below bottom staff

The box 'soloist' stays blue, whatever combination I make.

Peter123

Post by Peter123 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:22 am

Addition:

Of course I can make the upper staff normal size again, move all objects down manually, but after making the upper staff small again also the objects become small again.

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:49 am

You cannot avoid having tempo text on the top line. You can move it down with House Styles > Default Positions and a large enough negative value will make it appear so far under the staff that it will look like it is above the next staff. But that will move all the other tempo texts as well, so this might not the complete answer unless you move them all up one line in "System Object Positions"!!

And that would still leave you with small text. The solutions to that is:

Edit the Tempo text style (House Styles > Edit Text Styles > Tempo). On the first page of the dialog there is a box marked 'Keep Absolute'. Tick that box.

Peter123

Post by Peter123 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:58 am

OK., thanks a lot. I guess you just can't have everything in life...;)

dspreadbury

Post by dspreadbury » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:09 am

Actually, you can.

Go to House Style > Edit Text Styles and edit the 'Tempo' text style. Go to the 'Vertical position' tab and set it such that it doesn't appear on the top staff.

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:51 am

Sebasian wrote:You can move it down with House Styles > Default Positions and a large enough negative value will make it appear so far under the staff that it will look like it is above the next staff.
Ooops! :oops: Not so much a slip of the pen, more a failure of the entire brain. Take no notice - I meant to say Edit Text styles rather than Default Positions.

Fortunately ds spotted my mistake. I hope you didn't waste too much time trying the wrong thing.

Peter123

Post by Peter123 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:28 am

YES!!!!!!!!!

This worked fine, thanks a lot, my part looks perfect now.

Don't worry about me losing time, I left it at that point and didn't print it yet. I know you're both experts in this field, so I'm very happy to get the help in this forum.

My problem is that I love Sib., but use it not often enough to remember all tips and tricks, so I have the feeling to start all over again all the time

Thanks again, both of you!