define notehead in TAB as letter

Discussion of converting to Sibelius from Finale.
Ellieus
Sibelius Version: 8.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by Ellieus » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:37 pm

Hi!
I'm a guitarist/ukulelist and am contemplating switching from Finale to Sibelius. I'm currently testing Sibelius and like it very much. However, there is one thing I absolutely need and wasn't able to find yet:
I write picking patterns in TABs using the letters p, i, m and a. In Finale I can define the score font, so it consists of letters. Then I choose the letters in the notehead menu. While this might be a bit tedious and inconvenient the picking notation works really well and I'd like to keep that. In Sibelius I was not able to assign a symbol of my choosing (like p, which is not a note name) to a notehead.

Is there any way to reproduce this in Sibelius? Any help much appreciated.

Best wishes,
Elisabeth

bobp

Post by bobp » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:09 pm

Sibelius will let you put p,i,m,a over regular notation. If that is what you are asking.

Select a section of notation you want to add fingering to. In the TEXT tab, expand the Plug-in heading. Select the "Add text to the selected notes" plug-in. A key pad will open. Expand the bottom button. Select "p.i.m.a". Select the "options" button to see/change what the number buttons do. Witth default settings, selecting 0,1, 2 or 3 will add the desired letter above the notes.

There isn't a whole lot of documentation on plug-ins. Changing from one software to another can be tricky. Good luck.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

Ellieus

Post by Ellieus » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:06 pm

Hey!
Thank you so much! That already helped lots. Is there any way to "replace" the notehead with the the letter. I was thinking, maybe remove the heads (in this case numbers, of course) and moving the p, i, m, a in their place...
I've attached a example file of the picking tab as I've done them up to now in Finale.
Attachments
Brazilian 2klein.jpg
Brazilian 2klein.jpg (41.81 KiB) Viewed 16636 times

bobp

Post by bobp » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:22 pm

You can make notes headless in the Notations tab. Then add fingering ( as before from the Text tab) and drag them to the line you want.
I did it from notation but haven't tried it from tab. I'll need to experiment.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

Ellieus

Post by Ellieus » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:32 pm

Yup, couldn't get rid of the numbers in the TAB so far. Removing noteheads by changing the type in the notation panel works great, though.